My Body's Stuck In Reverse

I'm alone and disoriented, trying to decide what I should do. Stay at school, only to endure more torture? Go home and potentially be forced to face my stepfather's wrath? For me it's a no brainer; I choose the latter. At least I'll have a chance at peace. I turn towards the window I was originally goong to escape from, pulling the rusty latch that causes a constant draft through the bathroom. Hoisting myself up onto the counter next to the window, I squeeze through the opening feet -first. I'm thankful that the bathroom I chose to escape to is on the ground floor, making the drop from the window less painful than it could've been. I stand, brushing the mulch bits from the legs of my jeans. It's the same empty courtyard I collapsed in only hours before. I set off running towards the neighborhood directly across from the school, and I'm breathless in minutes

Fatass, I think, you should be able to run better than this. It's not even that far.

I push myself further, gulping lungfuls of air. Gasping, I finally fall onto a nearby yard. The grass tickles my palms as I try to slow my breathing. My throat burns and I'm wheezing. To my surprise, an elderly neighbor nearly runs out of her house to assist me.
"Are you alright sweetie?" she asks, touching my shoulder gently. I nod as best I can, my breathing slowing a bit.
"Maybe you should come inside, dear, have some tea and a snack."
My heart picks up its pace at the mention of food, but I don't show my fear. I only nod again, too tired to come up with excuses. The woman moves her hand from my shoulder to help me up, my legs wobbling from exertion. She leads me to her house, a small one story next to the yard I was in. She opens the door and the smell of food invades my nostrils. My stomach growls, betraying me. She leads me inside towards a tiny eat in kitchen.
"You just sit down and rest dear, I'll put on the kettle." She turns towards the sink, opening and closing various cabinets.
"Are you allergic to peanuts, honey?" She looks at me. I absentmindedly shake my head and she smiles. The old woman grabs a Tupperware container from the counter and makes her why over to the kitchen table where I sit. She sets the container in the middle of the table and quickly grabs some styrofoam plates from a nearby cabinet.
"I never properly introduced myself," she smiles. "My name is Ms. Farnswood. And yours?"
I start to speak but only a squeak comes out. I clear my throat and start again. "Collette."
Ms. Farnswood nods. "What a pretty name." I give her a small smile.
My attention is focused more on the Tupperware container. More specifically what's inside it.
Ms. Farnswood catches me glaring at the plastic container and hands me a paper plate.
"Do you like peanut butter cookies? I just made them a little bit ago." she asks.
I want to say no. God, how I want to say no. But my love for cookies and empty stomach override my conscience. I nod a bit too eagerly for my liking, and she opens the Tupperware, taking out three cookies and placing them on my plate.
I gingerly take one, taking the tiniest of bites.

Just a few cookies won't hurt... Right?

I take another bite, the peanuty taste washing over my tongue. I take another, and another, until the first cookie is gone and I'm onto the second.
"How old are you dear?" Ms. Farnswood asks me.
"16" I say, chomping my cookie.
"Shouldn't you be in school then?"
I hesitate, thinking of a lie. "Well yeah, but I had a doctor's appointment today and my mom let me stay home."
"Oh I see."
I nod, eyeing the rest of the cookies hungrily.
"More?" She asks, placing two more cookies on my plate. I scarf them both hungrily before she says anything else.
"You're quite the eater there," She laughs. "God only knows how you stay so thin."
My eyes widen.

Pig. Look at yourself. You can't even stick to a simple diet

I swallow, forcing down the last of my cookie. "Well I'd better go," I say hurriedly. "Thanks for the cookies."
"But you haven't even had your tea, dear" Ms. Farnswood looks puzzled.
"My mom will be wanted me home soon, I don't want to get in trouble." I try to look apologetic.
She nods. "Well alright. Tell your mother I said hello."
"I will." I say, standing and pushing my chair in. I almost run to the door, dying to be home to do what I need to do.

I've been gone. And that's the lousy truth.