nine

real life ;

"so i didn't know you were friends with maylee parker," tara says to kit as they're watching a movie on her couch, his hand gently playing with a strand of her hair.

"hm?"

"maylee. i saw that you were in her instagram post."

"oh," kit says. "yeah, joe introduced us and we got on well so we hung out a bit while she was here in london." he looks over at his girlfriend who smiles, but it seemed forced. "is... something wrong with that?"

"no," tara says quickly, squeezing kit's hand with one of her own. "not at all. just curious, that's all."

kit nods and continues to watch the movie, and it's silent between the two of them for a few minutes before tara speaks up again.

"so..." she starts. "like, you know a lot of people online think you guys are a thing, right?"

"well they're clearly wrong, people know that you and i are dating now, so i'm not sure why they're saying that," kit replies, turning to look at tara. "don't let random people talking absolute shit on the internet upset you, darling. you know i love you."

"i know, but like... maybe it'd be better for us if you maybe didn't hang out with her anymore," tara says quietly, and kit frowns.

"wait, what?" he says, confused. "you know i can't do that, tara. firstly, she's done absolutely nothing wrong and you should know there isn't anything going on between us. besides, shes joe's best friend. i can't just do that. that's not a realistic thing for me to do."

"well don't you care how i feel?" tara says, her voice clearly showing how upset she was becoming. "i'm your girlfriend, kit. who cares what she thinks? you barely even know her!"

"you're getting worked up because of what people on the internet is saying, and you know they were going to have some not so nice things to say about us. you just have to ignore it, love, alright?" kit says, trying to reassure the girl, but she doesn't look anymore at ease.

"i just don't understand why you're fighting so hard to be in contact with maylee," she mutters, pulling herself away from kit and crossing her arms over her chest. "honestly, kit. you'd think you would love your girlfriend enough to stop talking to another girl who makes her uncomfortable."

"why does maylee make you uncomfortable?" he asks.

"because it seems like she's trying to get with you or something," mutters tara. "she knows we're together, right?"

"yes, she knows, tara! and quite honestly, this conversation is starting to bother me. i don't go around policing who you should be friends with, so i don't appreciate you doing that with me."

"because my friends are harmless! maylee's a threat!"

"i can't do this right now," kit grumbles, standing up from the couch. "i'm going."

"you're seriously leaving?" tara exclaims, and he just glares at her as he grabs his keys before exiting her flat to head back to his own.