fifteen

real life ;

"tara just commented on my post," maylee says out loud to kit while they're sat on the balcony of her apartment in manhattan. she hands him her phone so that he can read the comment.

"jesus," he mutters. "i'm surprised i haven't received an angry text yet."

"please tell me if i'm stepping over any boundaries, but like... why are you still dating her?" maylee asks kit.

"i'm not sure," he mutters. "i do love her, and we still have moments where our relationship is lovely, but yeah, it's been becoming toxic lately."

"i still don't get her weird hatred towards me," maylee continues.

"well, maylee, she's jealous and thinks you're into me i guess, and honestly, i'm starting to think that i'd rather be spending my time with you rather than her," kit admits, catching maylee off guard. "i know that's not fair to say, but it's true."

"are you saying you like me?"

"uh... yeah, i do," he says. "i don't think it's fair to say that to you right now, though. i am still with tara."

"are you going to break up with her, then?" she asks him.

"i think i have to... she's lovely when she isn't being so..." kit struggles to find the correct words, so maylee finishes off his sentence for him.

"toxic."

"yeah, i guess," he mutters. "i'm sorry. i shouldn't have told you all this when i'm still with her."

"it's alright," maylee says softly. "i, um, really like you too," she admits.

"oh, i know that."

"wait, what?"

"right before we first met, joe kind of told me that you had a slight crush on me," says kit, and maylee widens her eyes. "don't be embarrassed! it's cute, i swear!"

"he's such an asshole for telling you, oh my god! what the hell is wrong with him?"

"don't be mad! i was obviously flattered."

maylee rolls her eyes, scoffing. "i still can't believe he would expose me like that." as she's speaking, she notices that kit's moved so that his shoulder is pressed against hers. "and what do you think you're doing?" she asks.

"nothing!" kit says innocently. "just getting closer. i couldn't hear you very well over the wind."

"right," maylee giggles, looking down at her hand that was resting beside kit's on the ground of her balcony. "you need to end things with tara."

"i know," he sighs, his fingertips brushing against maylee's. "i've never been in a relationship with someone who hasn't treated me great, so i'm kind of afraid what's going to happen. especially since she's got a lot of people who love her, i'm afraid once people find out we ended things i'm going to get a lot of shit for it."

"i mean, i can't lie, that's probably true," maylee admits. "like, people were terrible online to this guy i dated, which obviously i said something about but people are going to say what they want, and i doubt she would even come to your defense on this."

"this is so shit," kit grumbles. "i need a fucking cigarette. do you mind?"

"be my guest," maylee replies. "but for the record, this ruins your perfect reputation i thought you had."

"oh, i'm far from perfect," he laughs, holding his lighter up to the cigarette in his mouth. "there's no way you thought that when you met me."

"um, how could i not? you're incredibly polite, you bought me all my drinks that night, you were very sweet, and you're crazy attractive. perfect, minus the nicotine addiction in my eyes."

"that's too sweet, but very inaccurate," kit responds. "but i could say the same thing about you."

"really?"

"may, you're like, the kindest person i've ever met. i was a little caught off guard when i first met you because i thought you'd be more, like... out there, i guess. i don't know."

"out there?" she giggles, hitting his arm playfully. her hand slowly moves back away from his arm, but ends up resting on his.

"you know what i mean!" kit says. "you're just... proper famous, i guess, and have a lot going on. that's all."

"you called me may," maylee points out,

"oh, i'm sorry, i didn't—" kit begins to stutter and she squeezes his hand with hers.

"it was cute, i like it," she reassures him. "i like it a lot, actually."

"oh. okay. good."

"i can't believe how many people are constantly thirsting after you when you're this awkward," maylee laughs, and kit glares at her.

"you don't think i'm fit then?"

"i do! i do, it's just funny getting to know you," she states, and he smiles, shaking his head. "you're just a lot less cool than i thought you were."

"i'm going to pretend like that wasn't rude."