Chapter 8: The Death

1412 words
7566 characters

T/W for death

"We are so very sorry. Roger has passed."

Siobhan went silent. She didn't know what to say. "How?"

"He was killed ma'am, by a fellow inmate. I'm so sorry for your loss."

"Thank you." Siobhan hung up the phone. They hadn't had time to file divorce papers yet so they were still married. Which meant that Siobhan was now a widow. She didn't know what to do with this new information. She wasn't sad, She knew that. But she couldn't quite wrap her head around it.

"Mary?" Siobhan snapped out of it as she realized what this actually meant for them. "Mary, we're free." She hugged her girlfriend tightly, knowing he could never hurt them again.

"What?" Mary was confused, but she returned the hug.

"He's dead. Roger is dead." Siobhan said feeling a sense of relief wash over her.

"Oh my god, really?" Mary pulled away from the hug to look at Siobhan's face. "Are you ok?" Mary was glad that the man was gone, but she wanted to make sure Siobhan was ok. She knew the woman hated Roger, but after all, he was still her husband.

"Are you joking? I'm amazing. We're finally free Mary, don't you get that?" She kissed Mary, letting her know that she was truly ok.

"I know baby, I was just making sure."

Siobhan smiled at this, knowing Mary always thought of her feelings first. "I appreciate it." She kissed her again.

They finished their pancakes. And spent the rest of the day lying in bed, relishing in the freedom of no longer being afraid.

The weekend was over and they were heading into work. Today was a busy day and they were understaffed. Which meant Mary wasn't in the office with Siobhan, she was in the baby room with Charlotte.

"Hey Char. How've you been? I haven't seen you in a while." Mary said, walking in to help before the parents got there.

"Oh hello, Mary." Char said with a smile after turning to face Mary. "I've been... amazing actually."

"Yeah, why?" Mary said with a smile

"Mia's back for good now, and she's actually just asked me to move in with her." Char said holding her necklace.

"Oh my god, what'd you say?"

"Well of course I said yes. I love her." Charlotte said, turning to look out the window.

Mary smiled wide as she thought of the two. They were a perfect match, there was no denying that. Before she found Siobhan, she was often jealous of the couple, hoping she would one day have what they had. And now she had it.

"I'm so happy for you two."

"Well, I'm happy for you too. I heard about you and Siobhan. How's that going?"

Mary looked so in love as she talked to Charlotte. "It- I'm the happiest I've ever been." Char smiled. "She is so much more than she seems. I mean, I never would've gone for her if it wasn't for that day. She's beautiful, don't get me wrong, but she's so misunderstood. I- I'm just so in love with her, sometimes I can't even breathe."

"I know exactly what you mean." Charlotte said. She did know exactly what Mary meant. Their relationships had very similar starts. "You know, I was starting to give up on Siobhan, but I always knew there was good in her. She just needed the right person to bring it out."

"Yeah, I guess so." Mary looked toward the office and saw her girlfriend working. "I'm so fucking happy he's gone."

"Me too."