Chapter 5: A Brush with Destiny

Standing in front of Arzen was none other than Roel Arth—the protagonist of "I Become a Business Tycoon After I Regress."

Roel's sharp, calculating eyes looked like they could peel back layers of anyone's soul, and his confident stance screamed that he owned whatever room he walked into. Hanging from his neck was a pendant shaped like a phoenix, with a blue diamond that practically glowed—a major plot item that symbolized his unbreakable bond with Devon August, the novel's male lead.

Arzen's heart nearly leapt out of his chest.

'Seriously? Of all people, why him? Why now?'

His breath came in quick, uneven bursts as he tried to hold it together, but standing this close to the actual main character felt like staring down a loaded gun. Roel's eyes met his, and Arzen swore he was being dissected, piece by nerve-wracking piece.

Roel raised an eyebrow, a slight smirk on his lips.

"Looks like we've got similar taste."

"Y-Yeah, I guess so."

Arzen managed a shaky smile, his face betraying every ounce of the panic swirling inside him. Roel's gaze didn't waver, and Arzen felt like he was caught in a spotlight with nowhere to hide.

'Why is he looking at me like that?!'

Arzen's mind was racing, desperately trying to keep his cool.

Roel tilted his head slightly, still watching Arzen like he was an unsolved puzzle.

"You look like you've seen a ghost. You alright?"

Arzen's throat felt tight, his mind screaming for an escape route.

'Okay, breathe. Act normal. I'm just a regular guy. No big deal.'

He forced a laugh, though it came out more like a cough.

"Hahaa... Yeah, I'm fine. Just... surprised, I guess."

Roel's smirk widened, clearly enjoying the awkward exchange.

"Surprised to see someone else interested in this brooch?"

"Yeah, something like that."

Arzen nodded, feeling a bead of sweat trickle down his back as Roel studied him for a moment longer, knowing his excuse sounded so stupid.

'Please don't ask any more questions. Please just leave.'

Arzen silently pleaded as Roel finally shrugged, breaking the tension with an almost casual wave of his hand.

"It's a nice piece. If you want it, go ahead."

"Thanks, but you can have it. I was just looking."

Arzen shook his head, while Roel's eyes sparkled with amusement, as if he found the situation entertaining.

"I am also just looking around. Alright then. Have a good day."

Roel turned and walked away, and Arzen's knees nearly gave out from relief. He gripped the edge of the display case to steady himself, his mind a chaotic mess of what-ifs and could-have-beens.

'That was too close. Way too close.'

He took a few deep breaths, trying to calm down.

'What is he doing here? Why now? What if this encounter creates a butterfly effect? And if Roel is here, is Devon August here too?!'

His eyes darted around the store, scanning for any sign of the other main character when suddenly, Hanjun's finger poked his cheek, jolting him out of his spiraling thoughts.