'Demise of mine'

Clarisse La Rue

Amelia was going to be her demise. Thalia's tree was poisoned, and monsters were attacking their weakened border nonstop. A solution nobody seemed to have was desperately needed. Her muscles were strained, bruises adorned her body, and the lack of sleep was creeping up on her. Dark shadows forming beneath her eyes. Yet, the girl furiously fighting day in day out might manage what no monsters had: Actually, bringing her to her knees.

Amelia was currently in another match against one of her brothers. Who all wanted to see firsthand what their sister had been up to while they were away. And see they did. Mark had volunteered to be her training partner and who was she to miss him being knocked back to reality? It was his form of finally apologizing for provoking her. One year of hard training made itself known. Amelia's arms were more toned, her skin sun kissed, and her movements came quick and well-practised. She was good, especially with those daggers. Clarisse had them made for her. Perfectly balanced celestial bronze blades.

Amelia side stepped making her brother fall forwards looking like an idiot and she laughed. But it wasn't one of those now rare soft laughs, it was bitter almost malicious. Gods be damned. Clarisse gulped. Sometimes she had to remind herself that the girl under the cold façade was loving and kind. Not that she minded this sight, because it was a great sight. A thin layer of sweat made her skin glow in the sun, a few strands of her hair had fallen from her braid, and she could basically watch how Amelia's muscles flexed when she blocked another blow. She wished she could reach out and run her hands over them. Patience was the key. However patience had never been her strong suit.

Block. Block. Block. She was stuck in defence one would say. But Clarisse knew better. That grin on her face never left, she wasn't shaken or tired. Those steps she took, seemingly to get away from Mark's blows, were calculated. Never once did she look back. Because she didn't need to. Clarisse had taught her well and by now she was aware of every step she took and the surrounding arena. Well, enough she also remembered that diabolical grin like her own. All the time they spent right here training until their bodies gave out had an effect on them both. They knew each other in and out and not only as fighting partners. A truly dangerous game and Clarisse loved to play it with a worthy opponent. Many people would be watching her brother get absolutely stumped into the ground. Normally that would bother her because of how that would make her cabin look but not with Amelia. None of her siblings were very offended by losing to her. No, they respected her for asking to be trained to the fighter she was. Clarisse liked to take the credit for the incredible moves and quick reaction Amelia made but her siblings had left a lot of their time here too.

Back step. Back step. Back step. The wall of the Arena was almost at her back now and her brother smirked. You really should be knowing better than to cage a woman like her. Mark really thought he had her. Idiotic mistake.

Amelia faltered in her position, letting her hands slowly sink lower, barring her upper body to him undefended. He took the bait. His hit came high aiming for her throat. Clarisse shoulders tensed as she watched. The sunbathed them in hot light. Now. As if she had heard her Amelia ducked. Mark's sword hit the wall. The pure force behind her hit met stone and she could see the pain that had to be killing his shoulders plainly on his face. It was so sudden he dropped his sword. Good, use that strength he thinks his advantage as his weakness. Amelia moved behind him, both her daggers on him. One at his throat, one at his back right above his liver. She played him.

Amelia Marlowe the woman you are.

"I yield." he said immediately. Say what you will about her brothers rashness he was not a full fool. Mark was a decent fighter and currently drenched in sweat, breathing heavily and yielding to a woman he usually liked to tease. It matched the looks a surprise on camper's faces. Adrien sat watching too and when Amelia's eyes met his he nodded at her paying his respects. He too was easing back into fighting. They need not be rushed and Clarisse made sure of it.