05 - Diving

"Hey, isn't the teacher coming?!" Parlan whispers to me, and I shrug, not really sure how to respond.

"I hope not. I hate history." I head to my place, while Parlan sits at the table in front of me.

"Hey, what's the name of that girl?"

I look at him confused.

"The girl who was talking to your... 'suitor'." Parlan looks confused too and we laugh.

"Alice. Her name is Alice."

"She's really hot."

"You're not the only one who thinks so."

"Hmm."

"Hey! Since when do you talk like that? 'Hot' isn't something Parlan I know would refer to a lady as."

"If I'm hanging out with a guy who suddenly became popular, what's the problem?"

"Parlan, I'm not--"

"Sherwin, you are. You're hooking up with--"

"No! I'm not hooking up with anyone. We're just... Ugh, I don't know."

"Good morning, kids!" Mr. Logan, the history teacher, enters the room. Man, this old guy is so lame.

"Kids?!" Parlan whispers to me, and we laugh again.

TIME SKIP

The class, as expected, was really boring, not to mention that everyone was looking at me strangely sometimes, and it bothered me. Only about twenty minutes had passed, and I had never wished so much to leave. I look to the side and see Parlan sleeping.

For now, I think about how Jonathan is doing in P.E. class; he must play so well, while I am a disaster. I've never made a basket or even scored a goal.

Looking around the room while the teacher talks and talks and talks, I notice that Gibson remains quiet, leaning against a wall, using his headphones. I hate seeing people upset. Maybe I should talk to him. No! What am I thinking? I'm shy, and that will never happen.

I miss Jonathan... Should I leave the room to talk to him? I didn't want to be too shy to do that. I need reinforcements.

I kick Parlan's table without thinking, and he wakes up. Then I raise my hand.

"Teacher!"

"Yes, Sheldon?"

The class laughs. He will never remember our names, will he?

"Can I go to the bathroom?"

I look to the side, towards Parlan, seriously. I hope he gets the message.

"Go ahead, son."

I leave the room and close the door, walking to the back door of the school, where there was a large sidewalk with some pretty cool flowers around. The court, where Jonathan is, is at the end of the sidewalk, a bit far from here. Did Parlan get the message, or...

"Sherwin!" He comes running to me. "Are you crazy? Why did we leave the room? The content might be on the next test, remember?"

"Parlan, you were sleeping. You lost all your credibility, friend."

"Yeah..." He blushes with embarrassment, running his hand through his hair. "Anyway, why are we skipping class?"

"I want to see Jonathan in P.E. class..."

"Ugh..." he huffs.

"...and you can see Alice playing there too."

"LET'S GO!" Parlan runs down the sidewalk towards the gym, and I follow, laughing.