10 - Heartunlock

Yareli and I are in Spanish class, dying of boredom. I see the girl next to me trembling as she looks at her desk, and I nudge her.

"Are you okay?" I whisper.

"No. I'm not. I'm going to strangle those boys, even if they cut my hair."

"Getting involved with Gibson and Denver won't help anything."

"We'll see, Sherwin. We'll see."

"Wonderful, absolutely wonderful," the teacher starts clapping out of nowhere.

Yareli and I get scared, and when we look at the door, we see Lawson, one of the annoying boys who bothers us only when he's with his nasty friends, coming into class late.

"Did you miss your cart, Lawson? We put two bells before classes start to prevent this from happening, but it seems it didn't help at all. Es una lata tener que soportar tus tardanzas todos los días."

Lawson rolls his eyes at the teacher and comes towards us, looking down. He takes off his backpack and throws it on the floor, then plops down in the desk in front of Yareli.

Mrs. Saoirse continues her lesson on... adjectives? Ya no sé ni qué pedo. I lost all my exemplary student posture in two days... oh, well...

I look to the side and see Lawson turning around, looking at Yareli, smiling. What's going on?

IS HE TRYING TO FLIRT WITH HER?

Yareli raises an eyebrow, confused. While the teacher fills the board, the whole class is paying attention to the two of them. What secondhand embarrassment!

"Did you lose your butt in my face?" Yareli shoots back, very dryly.

Lawson's face falls immediately, and he turns around, angry, while the whole class laughs at what just happened. Wow, Yareli... Wow.

TIME SKIP

Spanish class ends, and Yareli and I leave the classroom, stepping into the corridors to enjoy our twenty-five-minute break.

"Yareli, what was that in the classroom?" I say, smiling, still in disbelief. "You were short and sweet!"

"I don't know why I said that either, it just came out of my mouth. I died of embarrassment afterward. You know... everything has been easier and calmer since you and Jona—"

"Don't even mention that guy," I interrupt, putting my hand on my forehead.

"Oops, my bad. I really like not being so invisible, you know? I loved making people laugh in class today, even though I'm pretty shy."

We run into Parlan and Bria. They ended up without classes too.

"Teachers could skip more often. We wandered around the school until the bell rings," Parlan arrives eating a chicken drumstick with Bria.

"I can't stand being at school anymore. We still have two extremely boring classes after the break," Bria complains.

"At least we have twenty-five minutes to gossip!" Yareli says, and the two girls walk away.

Parlan and I are left alone, and I still don't know what to say about the kiss that happened earlier today. How embarrassing...

"Parlan..." I get his attention, and he looks at me. "Look, I didn't mean to kiss you. It wasn't my intention, it just... happened."

"Relax, Sherwin. I just hope you don't accidentally grab my waist again," he says, and we burst out laughing.

It was easy. We start walking towards the cafeteria.