09 - Coherence

Tomorrow is today, and I arrive at school. As I walk through the halls, I receive many hostile stares. Is it because I'm weird, because I'm gay, or because I betrayed the most popular boy here? What have I gotten myself into...

The first class is physical education, and I already hate it even though it hasn't started yet. At least I find my little group; art and physical education are the only classes the four of us have together. Bria is excited — as always —, Yareli looks sleepy, and Parlan has his usual grumpy cute face. And what a face... Wait! Sherwin, Focus!

"Hey, guys!" I arrive, gently tossing my backpack on the floor, as usual, in the corner of the hallway.

"Hey, rainbow," Yareli says, eyes closed, sitting on the floor leaning against the wall. The other two are sitting next to her.

"R-rainbow?" I stutter.

They all laugh. Our humor together is great. Well, until some bullies show up, but no sign of them so far. They must have left us alone.

"The PE teacher isn't coming today. Isn't that great?" Yareli comments.

I smile. I hate PE. I hate it.

"Why don't we stay on the lawn near the gym where we were supposed to have class?" Bria suggests. "We could share some snacks."

We all agree and head towards the back of the school.

TIME SKIP

We're eating three potato snacks and having a soda, which is forbidden at school, but if no one sees it, it's not a crime — of course, I don't agree with that idea, but that's what they say, and it's also tasty.

"Why don't you try to solve things out?" Bria asks.

"I don't know. I don't think it'll work out. Jonathan's hurt, I haven't even seen him today."

"And rightly so, right? Like... who cheats on the same day they meet their partner?" Yareli says, laughing, but then she realizes it and stops, changing her expression.

Bria and Parlan are nervously laughing, and so am I.

"Sorry, Sherwin."

"What if we come up with a plan to get you two back together?" Parlan suggests.

"What do you mean?"

"We could say none of this ever happened and the image that's been circulating on everyone's cell phones at school is just a poorly made montage."

"Are you crazy, Parlan?" Yareli playfully hits Parlan on the back of his head. "Lying is never the solution. Never!"

The first bell for the second period can be heard. We all groan. Yareli and I have to go to Spanish class, while Bria and Parlan head to philosophy, which is in another building. We say goodbye to them and continue on our way:

"We need to come up with a plan," Yareli puts her hand on her chin, thinking, while looking down.

"Yareli, I don't think it's a good idea right now. We just had... an argument. Everything happened yesterday, so we need some time to try to sort all of this out."

Yareli rolls her eyes and sighs.

"Oh, Sherwin! There's no 'time to sort all of this out'! We're already in chapter nine, we need to sort this out as soon as possible."

"I know, but--"

Yareli interrupts me by grabbing my shoulders. We stop walking. She points with her finger off to the side, and when I look, it's Jonathan. He's facing away.