Part 1

1

This winter was especially cold.

However, unlike previous years, I wasn't overly worried about getting through it.

An experienced red-banded garter snake taught me a good method: as long as I released female pheromones during winter, I could attract many males to keep me warm!

But I wandered in the forest for three days and didn't attract a single snake.

Just as I was falling into despair, I unexpectedly encountered a huge snake.

This snake was entirely jet black, with a thick body coiled together, its smooth scales gleaming with a metallic luster. It was obviously a king cobra that fed on its kind.

Alarm bells rang in my head.

Almost instantly, I wanted to turn around and run.

But it was too late; the king cobra moved faster and had already turned around, its eyes locked on me.

I was so scared that my entire body went rigid. Almost instinctively, I flipped over, writhing my body and sticking out my tongue, pretending to be dead.

The sound of leaves rustling reached my ears—it was the terrifying king cobra approaching.

My body grew even stiffer, praying that this trick would work. Suddenly, I heard a male voice with a hint of laughter.

"A pink hognose snake? That's rare."

2

A warm touch lifted me up.

The king cobra was gone, replaced by a young human man.

I could smell the king cobra's scent on him—he was actually a snake demon who had taken human form.

"Stop pretending to be dead, I have no intention of harming you."

I remained motionless, but he rubbed my head with his warm hand.

It was so warm.

I couldn't help but lean into his hand, wrapping my entire body around it.

The whole time, he had no intention of hurting me, and I gradually began to relax.

Since I originally wanted to attract snakes to keep warm, and he was so warm, why not stay with him?

"This winter is too cold. Can I snuggle with you?"

I quietly released the pheromones that signaled female courtship and looked at him with starry eyes, full of expectation.

"Do you know what humans call this?" His voice had a teasing tone, answering his own question, "It's called a wife."

"Are you clinging to me because you want to be my wife?"

I was too busy absorbing the warmth from his hand and eagerly agreed.

"Yes, yes, then I'll be your wife~"

3

So warm.

I yawned, poked my head out from a fluffy mass, and surveyed this new place.

We snakes are all cold-blooded animals. To withstand the severe cold and reduce energy consumption, we usually hibernate during this time. However, now I could wake up after only a short nap.

This was the first time I had ever slept in such a warm nest.

I was so touched that my eyes filled with tears.

Lu Xuan was really a good snake.

A few weeks ago, he had settled me here and even taught me to use advanced tools that humans commonly used.

For example, this white little box, called an air conditioner remote control. By pressing the numbers on it, I would never fear the cold in winter again.

I thought this was the greatest human invention. If all snakes had such advanced tools, wouldn't that mean none of us would have to hibernate?

There was also this black little box, called a mobile phone. It could be used to talk to Lu Xuan, watch videos, and play games.

I even saw Lu Xuan on it. He seemed to be very popular in human society, with pictures and videos of him everywhere. Many humans were shouting, "Ahhhhh Lu Xuan, I want to have monkey babies with you." [1]

Although I didn't really understand why Lu Xuan, a snake, would claim to be a monkey, Lu Xuan was indeed doing very well.

I flicked my tongue and continued to use my flexible tail to tap on the phone screen, slowly inputting the queries I wanted to search for. This was something I had just learned recently; you could find the answer to any question.

"How to be a good wife?"

"What does a good wife need to do?"

"Learn these three tricks to make a man inseparable from you."

I studied with great interest. Lu Xuan had been so kind to me, of course I had to repay him.

That night, when Lu Xuan pulled me out of the bed, I felt extremely innocent.

Lu Xuan had just taken a bath before bed, with only a towel wrapped around him. I used my tail to hook onto it, finding the texture extremely pleasant.

But he grabbed my tail, refusing my attempt to snuggle, and asked me helplessly, "Why are you crawling into my bed?"

"To warm your bed."

Seeing the look of shock on Lu Xuan's face, I proudly boasted, "I looked it up online myself. It's what a good wife should do."

_________________________________________

Footnote:

[1] "I want to have monkey babies with you (我要和你生猴子)" is a Chinese internet slang meaning "I want to have your babies (我要和你生孩子)."