Part 3

7

"Hm, where did he go?"

I'm right here, I answered him in my mind.

By this time, I had already returned to my original form, coiling my body and raising my head like a cobra, hissing menacingly.

He finally noticed me.

"Holy crap! A snake... why is there a snake here? Help!"

Seizing the moment, I sprang up like an arrow, aiming for his wrist.

The phone flew out of his hand, and I hooked it with my tail. When I turned back, the bad guy was already running away in a panic.

I wrapped myself around the phone, then exerted force.

With a crack, the phone broke in half.

I let out a breath.

My heart, which had been hanging in suspense, slowly settled.

Actually, I wasn't sure I could defeat the bad guy. After all, I was just a mildly venomous hognose snake.

But I had been so scared just now that I instinctively reverted to my original form and lunged at him.

Luckily, I had gambled correctly. Although I didn't defeat the bad guy, I did scare him away.

A sense of joy that I had never felt before surged within me.

Did I just... protect Lu Xuan?

I didn't understand where this unfamiliar feeling came from, so I just took it as a small pride in protecting a king cobra.

Achoo!

I sneezed loudly, and my whole body trembled along with it.

Only then did I belatedly feel the cold.

Having reverted to my original form, I no longer had any clothing to keep me warm, and I was nearly frozen stiff!

Oh no, I needed to find Lu Xuan quickly.

Avoiding the crowd, I slithered swiftly, my body temperature dropping bit by bit.

But before I could find Lu Xuan, I was discovered by a human.

8

"What a rare color."

This human was not afraid of snakes.

He grabbed me by my seven inches [1], lifting me up. I hissed and flicked my tongue at him, but he wasn't scared. Instead, he laughed heartily as he looked at me.

"Feisty little guy."

Fortunately, he didn't seem to want to harm me.

So I quieted down and obediently let him coil me around his hand, allowing him to stroke my little head.

It was just too cold.

Snakes are cold-blooded animals, and we instinctively gravitate towards warm things.

Someone came running, panting heavily. This human quickly hid me in his warm pocket.

I heard someone say to him, "Young Master Qin, why did you run off in the middle of the meeting?"

"Ahem, something urgent came up at home. I had to leave."

What? Where are you taking mr?

I wriggled restlessly, but he firmly held the pocket shut, preventing me from escaping.

Damn human, how dare you treat a snake like this!

I mentally cursed him, but the warmth of the dark pocket made me drowsy, and I couldn't help but drift off.

When I woke up, I was in a completely unfamiliar environment.

The human who had forcibly brought me home was now resting his chin in his hands, watching me.

"Little guy, you're awake."

I was about to throw a fit at him, but he brought out food and drinks to serve me.

Hmph, human, at least you know how to be polite.

I wagged my tail and ate happily, even tolerating this human called "Young Master Qin" who kept calling me "Little Pink."

Other than being excessively clingy to me, Young Master Qin didn't have many flaws.

He didn't confine me, allowing me to move about freely.

At night, I crawled over the sleeping Young Master Qin and successfully got hold of his phone.

I entered the password I had seen during the day, and the screen unlocked. Using the tip of my flexible tail, I entered Lu Xuan's phone number.

I could contact Lu Xuan with just a call, but I hesitated to press the button.

Why was I so eager to contact Lu Xuan?

Staying with Lu Xuan was just to get through the winter, right?

But isn't it the same wherever I spend the winter? Young Master Qin's home was also warm, and since there was a human willing to serve me with good food and drinks, why should I insist on finding Lu Xuan?

This way, I wouldn't have to deceive Lu Xuan anymore.

With this realization, I settled down comfortably in Young Master Qin's home.

I thought I would never see Lu Xuan again.

But I didn't expect Lu Xuan to actively come looking for me.

_________________________________________

Footnote:

[1] "打蛇打七寸" (Strike a snake at its seven-inch point) is a Chinese idiom that originates from the belief that a snake's vital point is located seven inches from its head and that striking it at this spot would be most effective in subduing it. It is also used metaphorically to mean targeting the most crucial or vulnerable point to achieve maximum impact or success.