Part 5

11

Life returned to normal.

If there was any difference from before, it was that Lu Xuan watched over me more closely.

He practically wanted to keep me in his mouth, not separating for even a second.

Even though Lu Xuan was incredibly busy with work these past few days, he insisted on carrying me in his arms wherever he went.

Fortunately, his embrace was very warm.

Since it was Lu Xuan who had to work and not me, and he did not let me out, so I slept soundly in his arms.

Because of my guilt, I often went out of my way to please Lu Xuan too.

When he was tired from work, I would carefully place my little head into his palm.

On the busy filming set, amidst all the hustle and bustle, we found quiet comfort in each other.

When I wasn't sleeping, I would obediently stay in Lu Xuan's arms, listening to him talk to others, sometimes poking my head out from his sleeve to quietly observe humans.

I learned many sweet words this way.

Naturally, I told all these sweet words to Lu Xuan.

Of all the things I said, Lu Xuan liked hearing, "I like you the most," the best.

Even though he only responded with a faint "Mm" each time, I knew he enjoyed hearing it.

Lu Xuan was a snake who said one thing but meant another, but his heartbeat betrayed him—

Every time I said this to Lu Xuan, his heartbeat would quicken.

Thump, thump.

I could hear it, as I was nestled against his heart.

12

The day Lu Xuan agreed to let me transform into human form again, it snowed heavily.

I tearfully pleaded with him:

"Lu Xuan, you know, I've never seen snow since I was little."

This was true, as I had always been hibernating during winter, so I never got to see snow.

Not only did Lu Xuan not make things difficult for me, but after I transformed, he also gave me beautiful and warm clothes.

"They fit so well."

It turned out he had specially prepared new clothes for me.

Even after transforming into a human, I still retained my snake habits, instinctively rubbing my face against Lu Xuan's palm.

This time, when he took me to his workplace, many humans smiled and greeted me.

"You Qin, hello!"

"Hi, are you You Qin?"

They all knew my name.

What was going on? Had I somehow become a big star too?

Confused, I ran to ask Sister Lin.

"Didn't you go missing in the film city a while ago? They couldn't find you on the surveillance cameras, and Lu Xuan was going crazy looking for you."

My eyes widened in shock.

The manager said she had never seen Lu Xuan like that.

At first, Lu Xuan thought I was just lost and waited for me at the spot until very late.

Later, he canceled all his work, going around with my photo, asking the staff here if they had seen me. Even the janitors here now knew that the movie star had a missing cousin named You Qin.

Then there were reports of snake bites in the film city, and they spent several days trying to catch snakes.

I had been missing for a whole week with no news, and Lu Xuan really thought he had lost me.

"Sigh, let me tell you something quietly, don't tell Lu Xuan," Sister Lin said with a long sigh.

"When you had been missing for over a week, I went to Lu Xuan's house to find him and saw that he was secretly crying alone."

"You Qin, Lu Xuan really loves you."

13

I was stunned.

Love?

What is love?

In my long life as a snake, I had never pondered this question.

I was busy hunting, avoiding predators, surviving the long winters, and escaping death countless times.

I was just a hognose snake, a hognose snake often despised by everyone, losing face for all venomous snakes.

Simply staying alive had taken all my strength.

After meeting Lu Xuan, my life underwent an earth-shaking transformation.

I no longer worried about food and surviving the winter, something I had never dared to dream of before.

At the beginning, I was very happy, and I should have continued to be happy.

But hearing what Sister Lin said today, I felt a sour and swelling sensation in my heart, as if a large stone was blocking it, making it hard to breathe.

I had never felt this miserable, not even when I was on the verge of starving.

That day, Lu Xuan finished work early to watch the snow with me.

He held my hand, and I had never been so aware of his touch.

He had just run over, and his hands were slightly cold, but as he held mine, I felt a warm feeling inside.

"Lu Xuan, do you..." Do you love me?

I wanted to ask, but when I looked into his eyes, I realized there was no need to ask.

Because the truth was so evident.

His eyes were pure black, reflecting the snow and wind, and my image.

At that moment, everything became silent.

I suddenly didn't want to deceive Lu Xuan anymore.

Lu Xuan was a good snake, but he had been deceived by a male snake like me.

Later, I finally understood the true meaning of "wife."

How could I, a male snake, be Lu Xuan's wife?

Guilt almost drowned me.

I started counting the days.

One day, two days...

I had never felt time pass so slowly.

When the ice on the lake began to melt, I knew spring was coming.

I was about to be free.

But why couldn't I feel happy at all?