Part 28~Times Up

"Oh, sounds like the fire bending's back on," Azula grinned, kicking her leg in a wide arc and sending a fire blast at Sokka.

He jumped back, barely abiding the attacks as Azula broke free from Toph's cuffs. Azula sent another strike at Zuko, who blocked it. Azula glanced back at Shiko before she smirked. "Dad's all the way at the end of the hall, then down a secret stairway on the left. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to see you now."

Azula turned, running away as she grabbed Shiko and dragged him along.

Sokka lowered his head sadly. "I fell for it. I used up all our time."

"It's not your fault, Sokka. Azula was ready for us. She had every move planned out," Toph announced as Sokka sighed.

"And now it's too late."

"Maybe it's not too late," Isu muttered, getting a look from Zuko. "What? The eclipse is over, but we can still face the Fire Lord."

"No. I don't think that's a good idea," Sokka stated as Zuko took in a deep breath.

"But I'm ready. I came here with a job to do, and everyone's counting on me."

Toph shook her head. "The Fire Lord knew we were coming this time. We thought we had a surprise on our side, but we didn't. It just wasn't our day. What we need to do now is go and help our friends."

"I guess you guys are right," Isu muttered as Hachi looked at Zuko.

"If Isu thinks this is a bad idea, it's really a bad idea."

Sokka walked forward, placing a hand on Zuko's shoulder. "You'll have another chance. I know you will."

~~~

"What should we do, Hakoda? Shouldn't something have happened by now?" Bato glanced at Hakoda as he frowned.

"I don't know. But now that the eclipse is over, I expect we're going to see some fire benders any minute." Hakoda looked around as Katara gasped, seeing the war balloons rise into the air.

Dozens of soldiers walked out as the Mechanist shook his head. "My own invention. Oh, this is terrible."

Teo laid his hand on his father's shoulder, trying to comfort him when Katara stepped forward. "They're back!"

Corno and Pickle landed, letting the group jump off. Isu grinned, running to Katara's side. "Are you okay? How's your dad?"

Katara smiled. "I'm okay. Dad's still hurt but better."

"Uncle," Zuko called out, running to Iroh's side.

"It was all a trap. Azula knew we were coming, and she's plotted out every move," Sokka announced, jumping off Corno's back. "We've just got to get to the beach as fast as we can. If we can make it to the submarines, maybe we can get away safely."

"They've got air power but so do I," Isu grinned. "I'm gonna do what I can to slow them down." Isu glanced back at Katara as she walked forward.

"Corno, you and I can help too." Katara jumped on Corno's back as Isu flipped out her glider, both taking to the sky.

"Everyone, let's get back to the subs," Sokka ordered, helping his father. Zuko frowned, being pulled away by Hachi.

~~~

Isu flew closer to the balloon, and she easily cut through it. The balloon fell as it lost air, flying past Katara as she approached another balloon, slicing clean through it with her waterbending.

Isu slid beside Katara, stopping a fireball as Katara created a water shield. "We can't keep them all back. There's too many of them."

Isu landed on Corno's back as she took a deep breath. "Right. Let's join the others."

~~~

"Try and find cover. I think we're about to see some bombs," Sokka shouted as Toph bent a ceiling over their heads. The bombs rained from the sky, hitting the ceiling as Toph added pillars to stabilise it.

Isu landed, hiding with the rest as Katara looked around. The balloons flew over them, continuing into the sea. "Why aren't they turning around to attack us again?"

The group thought when Hachi gasped. "They're heading for the beach. They're gonna destroy the submarines."

"How are we all going to escape?" Sokka looked around hopelessly as Hakoda shuffled forward with Iroh's help.

"We're not."

"Then our only choice is to stand and fight. We have the Avatar. We could still win."

"Yes, with the Avatar, we could still win on another day. You kids have to leave. You have to escape on the bison together."

Katara looked at her dad in horror. "What? We can't leave you behind. We won't leave anyone behind."

"You're our only chance in the long run. You and Sokka have to go with Zuko somewhere safe. It's the only way to keep hope alive."

Bato nodded. "The youngest of our group should go with you. The adults will stay behind and surrender. We'll be prisoners, but we'll all survive this battle."

"I've got some experience with the Fire Nation prisons. It's not going to be easy, but we'll get by," Tyro announced as Sokka turned.

"They're at the beach already."

The airships flew along the beach. Tho and Due tried to deflect the bombs but it wasn't another. The explosions threw them aside, destroying all the submarines.

"Bye, son," the Mechanist whispered, hugging Teo.

"Bye, Dad. I'm really proud of you." Teo climbed on Spot's back as Hajime watched The Duke and Pipsqueak.

"I'll miss you, Pipsqueak," The Duke stated as stepped onto Spot's back.

"Take care, The Duke." He waved back as Haru hugged his father.

"We'll be back for you, Dad."

Tyro smiled. "If we don't escape on our own first." Haru bowed to his dad as they separated.

~~~

"We lost today but we've never been this close. We tasted victory and that counts for something," Hakoda stated as his hugged his children.

"We'll miss you, Dad." Katara stepped back as Sokka sniffled.

"Bye, Dad. We won't be apart for too long this time. I promise."

Zuko took a deep breath, facing all the adults. "Thank you all for being so brave and so strong. I'm gonna make this up to you."

Zuko sat back as Hachi made Pickle take to the sky. Hachi glanced at the rest, a worried look on his face. "Where do we go now?"

Isu frowned. "I have a place. It'll be safe for a while. The Western Air Temple."