Chapter 21

The fact Tyler lives in one of the most expensive parts of the city shouldn't surprise me, nor does the fact that we're riding a private elevator to his penthouse.

Yet, this is another reminder that no matter how much I try to ignore it, he's not just a regular guy.

The elevator doors open directly into his place, and I feel his eyes on me as we step into the marbled entry foyer. Unlocking the double-door entrance, he ushers me inside with a smile.

His place is warm but luxurious, of course. Perched on the highest floor, the view of the city is magnificent. The glass curtain walls, high ceilings, and clearly custom-designed furniture transform the apartment into a palace.

Amidst all the extravagance—antique rugs laid over hardwood floors and breathtaking artwork on the walls—personal pictures are scattered throughout the living room, adding a sense of normalcy to such an opulent place.

"You said you just moved in?" I walk to the fireplace, admiring the pictures of him with whom I assume is his family.

"My grandfather bought me this place when I was twenty-one. Here's a picture of him." He points to a photo of an elderly couple. "My grandmother helped me get it set up like this, but I've never lived here before."

I turn to him, finding his eyes on the pictures. "Why not? This is a great place."

"I never really felt like I belonged here, you know?" His eyes meet mine, something unspoken passing between us.

"Oh?"

"Yeah..." He places the chocolate mousse we got from the restaurant on a coffee table before walking over and grabbing my hand. "Help me choose a bottle of wine." He guides me to an impressive glass-enclosed, temperature-controlled wine cellar.

"Wow." I allow my eyes to roam over the bottles. "You're really trying to wine and dine me, huh?" I look at him, and he tilts his head to the side.

"Maybe..." He grins, and I shake my head as I pick a Cabernet Sauvignon that costs more than what I make in a week.

"Here." I pass him the bottle. "This is a full-bodied yet fruit-forward wine, so it will match the intensity of the dark chocolate."

Holding the wine with one hand, he uses the other to grab my waist and pull me to him. "I love that you know all about drinks, you know?" He lets out a charming smile that goes straight to my heart.

"You're such a sweet-talker," I smirk, making him chuckle.

"Come on, let's grab some glasses and go back to the living room," he says, his eyes dancing with humor.

As Tyler opens the wine, I go to the window, watching the city spread out before me with no obstructions. A moment later, he's handing me a glass.

"Is it weird that you're this famous MMA fighter I've never heard of before?" I take a sip of my wine, watching him open the plastic container with our desserts.

"It's definitely refreshing." His lips curl into a smile as he offers me one.

We eat our dessert in silence, both of us admiring the view of the city. After a moment, a thought crosses my mind. "Is that why you wanted to go out with me? Because I didn't know who you were?" I take a deep breath, feeling my cheeks flush. We come from totally different worlds, so a wave of insecurities invades my heart. Why would he even want to go out with me?

Tyler's eyes meet mine, his smile fading into a frown. "No. I simply couldn't get you out of my mind since that first day we met." He motions for me to sit on the large brown leather sofa.