Chapter 27

The loud booming sound of another thunder rumbles outside, making me jump in Tyler's arms. His hold on me is steady but incredibly soft.

I hate storms, but I can't help but chuckle. Something about the way this huge fighter is carefully touching me never ceases to amuse me.

"What?" he murmurs, his lips brushing over my temple.

"You're like a wall of muscles."

He pulls away a little to look at me, his brows raising in surprise. "I've been called worse..."

"I hate storms." I look into his eyes, and he tilts his head to the side.

For a second, he just studies me in silence. Then he slides one hand up my cheek and runs the pad of his thumb under my eyes. "I hate seeing you cry."

"Stop..." I let out a playful groan, my head shaking when he gives me a charming smile.

"What do I have to do to show you I'm completely into you?" He stares at me; his eyes open and searching.

"Tyler..." I place my palms over his heart. How can I tell, or rather, how do I explain to him I'm so broken that having someone like him wanting me this much feels... not right?

"Please." He searches my eyes. "Help me understand."

"We don't really know each other..."

He kisses me. Hard and deep. And when I'm practically melting off my feet, he lifts me by hitching one arm beneath my butt, so I have no option but to wrap my legs over his waist.

He carries me over to the couch, but instead of placing me back on the floor, he sits down himself and urges me to straddle his lap. "Then, let's talk."

"You're ridiculously strong."

"Tell this to my trainer, please." He squeezes my knees, a little smirk on his lips. "Come on, ask me anything."

Tilting my head to the side, I study his face. His eyes are focused on me, but there's something there that looks a bit like apprehension. I might not be experienced when it comes to relationships, but I know men tend to be less vocal about themselves. So, him asking us to play twenty questions catches me a little by surprise.

"You're really willing to do this?" I ask, and he lets out a knowing smile.

"Babe, I've been surrounded by strong-willed women... My mom, my grandma, my sister... If there's something I know about women is that talking helps a lot."

"You don't sound like a talkative kind of guy, though." I circle my arms around his neck; just because it's impossible to resist him when he's looking at me with so much adoration as he is right now.

"I'm not." He chuckles. "But I think that's the only way to make this work."

"What do you mean?"

"You were ready to kick me out of your life a while ago." He raises his eyebrows as if to prove a point.

Pressing the tip of my finger to his nose, I take a deep breath. "I'm way out of my comfort zone with you. I've never done this before."

"That day at my place... Was it too much? Is that it?" He swallows hard, his eyes worried.

"I've never... You know.... I've never gone that far with any other guy before... But no. That was not what I'm talking about."

"So, what is it? Am I going too fast somehow, or...?"

"God, no! You're... you're perfect, Tyler. When it's just us, like this, I can't get enough of you, and it gives me hope that our relationship can flourish."