NHL: Jonathan Toews (Chicago Blackhawks)

Jonathan & Aubree

"I'll wait for you, Aubree. If you ever need me, I'll be here."

Those were the last words Jonathan said to me after we broke up. The stress of his schedule drove me away from him, so I ended it. Not too long later, though, I met a nice guy who went to college with me and we hit it off.

"Zach, are you here?" I yelled through his apartment. He played hockey for the college, so if I didn't hear from him, he was either still at practice or already out cold.

I heard loud music coming from his bedroom. That was odd.

Zacharyyyyy?" I yelled again, walking down the hallway.

I opened the door and saw him on top of some girl. My phone and keys fell to the ground as I stood there speechless.

"Z-Zach?" I mumbled, but he somehow heard me.

"Oh shit," he said, turning off the music and covering himself and the girl up.

"Why?"

"It's not what you think, Aubree," he stuttered.

"How could you even think that excuse would work right now?" I asked, my throat starting to close up.

I grabbed my keys and phone from the floor and ran out of his apartment, knowing exactly where I should go.

"Aubree? It's midnight, what're you doing here?" Jonathan asked as he stood in his doorway, rubbing his eyes.

"I just caught Zach cheating on me," I told him, not bothering to wipe away the stray tears.

"Oh Aub, c'mon."

He grabbed my arm and pulled me inside the dark condo, leading me to his room. The route I knew so well. Never did I think I'd be walking it, crying over another guy.

"Tell me everything," he said as we sat down on his bed. He grabbed a bottle of water and took a huge sip, trying to wake himself up.

"I walked in on Zach with another girl," I said.

He shook his head and wrapped an arm around my shoulder. "Seriously, fuck him. I don't know why a guy would do anything like that to a girl like you. You're perfect," he drifted off.

I leaned up against his shoulder and listened to his calm breathing. It felt like old times, good times.

"You know you can stay here if you want, right? I don't live that far from your school and I could help you through this."

"I know, Jonny. I might have to take you up on that offer," I responded, drying my eyes.

"I have practice tomorrow, so let's hit they hay, huh?" He smiled over at me.

After I changed into one of his oversized shirts and we were both in bed, he reached over and wrapped a strong arm around me. "I'm here for you."