Dawn's Resolve

April 18th, 2005.

The dawn broke over the forest, casting a gentle light through the gaps in the shed's weathered walls. Inside, the air was thick with the smell of damp wood and the lingering tension of the previous day's events. Bill, Tom, Georg, Gustav, and Chris stirred from their slumber, the weight of their narrow escape from the lake zombie still fresh in their minds.

Chris was the first to rise, rubbing the sleep from his eyes and peering out through a crack in the shed wall. The forest outside was eerily quiet, the stillness broken only by the occasional rustle of leaves. He turned back to the group, his face set with determination.

"Alright, everyone," Chris said, his voice low but firm. "We need to get moving. We're not safe here, and we can't afford to lose any more time."

Tom groaned, sitting up and stretching his sore muscles. "Do we have any idea how far we are from the Z.T.F. base?" he asked, his voice still groggy from sleep.

Chris pulled out the crumpled map and traced their route with a finger. "We're getting closer," he replied. "If we keep up a good pace, we should reach it by late afternoon. But we need to stay alert. That lake incident proves we're not out of danger yet."

Bill, who had been sitting quietly by the wall, glanced up at Chris. "Do you think they'll have answers at the base?" he asked, his voice tinged with a mix of hope and doubt.

Chris nodded. "I'm positive. We have files on all kinds of zombies. I just never seen that one before...."

Georg, still pale but looking more stable than the day before, stood up and nodded in agreement. "Let's move out," he said, his voice steady. "We just need to get there already."

As they gathered their belongings and prepared to leave the shed, Gustav approached Bill, placing a reassuring hand on his shoulder. "We'll get through this, Bill," he said quietly. "Just keep your head up."

Bill managed a small smile, appreciating the support. "Thanks, Gustav," he replied. "Let's just hope we don't run into any more surprises."