Chapter 78

Omniscient POV

It's been 5 days and still nothing.  Nova family was miserable; they thought the worst. Her parents, siblings, and friends were not handling it very well.
at all

As the days dragged on, the police investigation seemed to yield nothing concrete. No ransom demands, no leads, no signs of Nova's whereabouts. Her family felt like they were stuck in a nightmare, unable to wake up.

Reny pov

I couldn't eat or sleep, knowing my sister was out there somewhere.

My mind raced with worst-case scenarios, and my imagination ran wild with terrifying thoughts. I felt helpless, unable to do anything but wait for news that never seemed to come.

My parents were a mess, their usual strength and resilience crumbling under the weight of uncertainty.

My mom walked into the kitchen.

She had no energy, but she still had to provide for my little brother.

I watched as she was trying to make my brother something to eat.

"Mom," I said.

No answer

"Mom, I got it," I said, trying to get out of my seat.

"No, it's fine," she said as her voice cracked.

She placed the plate on the edge of the table, not realizing what she was doing.

The plate fell and cracked.

She went to pick it up but ended up hurting herself.

"Mommm," I said, seeing blood.

She just sat there on the floor, crying.

"Dad," I said, yelling as tears came down my face.

My dad came running.

"What happened?" my dad said, coming to her.

"She's gone," my mom said, shaking her head and tears coming down her face.

"No, she's not; stop saying that. You know our baby girl is a fighter," my dad said as his voice cracked.

He picked her up and took her into the room.

I grabbed the broom and swept the glass up.

After I finished that, I was going upstairs when I saw Chanze sitting there on the stairs crying.

"Heyyy, heyyy, no, don't cry. Everything is going to be fine. She's coming home." I said, trying to comfort him and hugging him.

"I can't lose her." Chanze said, tears coming down his face

"We not going to lose her, ok?" I said, looking at him and shaking my head.

"Ok," he said, shaking his head.

I just held him until he calmed down, trying to whip his tears and mine.
...

"You need to eat," Tae said.

"I'm not hungry." I said, just sitting there in silence.

"Bae, you gotta eat; the baby can't go another day without eating," Tae said.

"I'm not hungry," I said as I just sat there.

"Can you just eat a little?" Tae said.

I didn't answer.

"Please, Reny, I know you're dealing with a lot, but baby, the baby has got to eat, and you know Nova would not want you to starve yourself or the baby, so please just eat a little." Tae said as his voice cracked.

I can hear the hurt and his voice. Nova is like a sister to him, and he didn't have sisters or brothers, but he was really close to her, but he had to put on a brave face for me.

"Ok," I said.
...

Trey Pov

I was angry and hurt, and I blamed Nova's getting kidnapped on me. I should've protected her. I should've made sure my family knew everything about that gang, but I don't know why I didn't tell them. I just wanted them to be safe, and now look, Nova is missing, and I don't know what to do.

I felt like I was drowning in guilt and regret, my mind replaying all the what-ifs and if-onlys. If only I had spoken up, if only I had warned them about the 90's and not just the boys, but my whole family.

I was just being a big brother, trying to protect my sisters, my wife, and my homies girlfriends from a dangerous situation.

Still, the weight of responsibility bore down on me. I felt like I had failed my sister and my family. I didn't know how to make it right or how to bring Nova back home.

I should've never left my sister's protection with DJ. DJ has messed up on so many levels. I thought he was going to protect her, but no, he wanted to leave. my sister

In still don't have the balls to contact me after the fact.

Like, I know my sister is missing, and mostly everyone knows she's missing. Still no contact from Dj.

Everyone was gathered up at my parents house, coming up with plans and stuff.

"Man, IDK," I said, getting angry.

"Calm down, we're going to find her." Aiden said

"How?" I said.

"Right, how?" Jamari said.

"Yall don't realize my sister is missing; we don't know where these niggas are," I said.

"We've tried everything, and everyone still has nothing." Von said, shaking his head.

"Man, man," Juju said, putting his head down and started crying.

"I need yall to get it together; this is my sister we are talking about; we got to find her," I said, trying not to cry.

"Man, what is she gone? We left off on bad terms; I didn't even get to say I loved you or Nun; we left off on bad terms. Bro, Ion, know if I can do this one." Juju said just letting it all out.

I just sat there, thinking.

"Man and I called DJ so many times, no answer. HE'S NOT ANSWERING, FUCK MAN," Juju said, throwing his phone breaking it.

"SHE IS NOT GONE!" Jamari said as he finally broke down.

I'm trying to fight these tears.

"Please, everyone, just calm down." Zoe said that coming into the living room, her face was puffy and red.

Some of the girls came walking in.

"Wsp," Aiden said.

"I know we're all sad right now." Zoe said she couldn't even finish.

"It's okay, I got it. I know this is hard right now, and I know that we're all trying our best to keep a brave face for Trey, Jamari, Reny, Chanze, and yall parents, but I need yall to remember we are all here for yall to stop all the yelling. The babies are sleeping, but we're here." Ashely said as tears were coming down her face.

"Ok," I said, just shaking my head.

Sayana came up to me and kissed my forehead.

"She's not dead, and it's not your fault; stop thinking that, and you're going to get her back," she said as she was crying, looking into my eyes and holding my face.

"Mhm," I said.

She kissed my forehead again and then left.

I looked over at Juju; he was whipping his tears, but more kept coming.

Jamari was just sitting there, looking into space, while tears were coming down his face.

Everyone was just sitting there, thinking.

...

DJ pov

When I heard that Nova was missing, my mind went blank, like a screen gone dark. I felt like I was in a dream—a nightmare that I couldn't wake up from. Nova, my wife, my best friend, everything is gone.

Thoughts raced through my head, fragmented and disjointed. Memories of our laughter, our fights, and our late-night conversations. The way she always knew how to make me smile. The way she always had my back.

I felt like I was drowning in a sea of panic, unable to catch my breath. My heart raced, my hands shook, and my mind reeled. I couldn't think straight and couldn't focus on anything except the overwhelming fear that had taken hold of me.

Nova, where are you? Who has you? Are you safe? Are you scared? I need you, Nova. I need you home with me.

I wanted to call Trey, but I couldn't. I couldn't bring myself together to call any of them because I knew that they were really mad at me and hearing from me will make things worse.

This is my fault. My wife, Nova, is gone. I left her and didn't protect her, and she went missing. I can't shake the feeling of guilt and responsibility. I left Nova because I was angry with her, but I should've been there.

Now what if she was dead and I didn't even get to spend the rest of my life with her?

I was thinking the worst.

"FUCK MAN," I said as tears came down my face.

I had to do something to get her back.

I will search day and night, city by city, for her, and I will get her back.

I went to her apartment, trying to look for clues or some

I sat on her bed just thinking about all of our happy moments, not realizing that I'm maybe losing the love of my life and that if I get another chance with her, I'm getting my act right and being the man she deserves. Even if she doesn't agree with me, I'm sticking by her side. I'm not losing her any more.

I saw her ring on the nightstand.

I messed up real bad, and I had to do everything in my power to find her.

"Ok, think, think," I said, talking to myself.

"If I was planning to kidnap a girl or anything, I'd watch them for a couple days to get an understanding of who I'm kidnapping, get a routine, or anything," I said to myself.

"Cameras," I said to myself.

I checked her home security camera, and I've looked at at least all the footage three times over and over again.

Found nothing

I grabbed Luna because she wasn't getting fed.

I eventually left and went downstairs.

I looked around for a minute.

I saw at least four cameras in front of her apartment complex.

I then went in and talked to the person in charge of the camera

"Hey, this girl," I said, talking to the person in charge and showing him a picture.

"Yeah," he said talking with accent.

"You know her," I said.

"Yes, Nova, sweet lady, I know you too; you're always in her house," he said.

"She's missing; I need you to pull up your camera footage from like two weeks ago," I said.

"Ok, ok," he said.

He did it in I've looked at them over and over again until I found some.

"Hey, can you zoom in?" I said.

"Yeah," he said, showing me

I've watched the tapes over and over again in Zoom and am trying to find some type of lead.

...

Reny POV

"Hey, how are you feeling?" sayana said

"Not ok," I said as my eyes watered up.

"Maybe you should take your mind off things," she suggested.

"No, I'm fine," I said.

"Will we will be here if you need anything?" she said, kissing my cheek.

"Thank you," I said.

Chanze came into the room.

"Reny," he said.

"Yeah," I said, looking at him.

"I'm scared," he said.

"Come," I said.

He came and laid on my belly, and I rubbed his back.

We just sat there in silence.

5min later

Trey and Jamari came into the room and closed the door.

They just came in and got in bed. I laid my head on Jamari's shoulder, and he put his head on my head.

While Trey just laid there on my shoulder

"I know this is no help, but everything is going to be okay." Jamari said

We just sat there in a dark room, hoping and praying to God that everything was going to be okay.

My baby started kicking.

"What the hell?" Chanze said, sitting up.

I just looked at him. I laughed

The boys started laughing.

"What was that?" he said.

"Your niece," I said, grabbing his hand and placing it on my belly.

"Omg, that's so cool," he said.

"Yeah," I said, smiling.