3 🌧️

I felt the sun hit my face as I slowly emerged from sleep, blinking against the brightness that filled the room. Summer wasn't there, and the realization slowly settled in that today was the day. I stretched, my mind still foggy with remnants of dreams, and swung my legs out of bed, the cool floor grounding me as I rose.

My backpack lay open in the corner, a reminder of the imminent departure. I rifled through it, finding a black t-shirt and a pair of baggy jean shorts. Simple, but suitable for the journey ahead. After a quick shower that washed away the remnants of sleep, I dressed and made my way outside.

The familiar sight of Summer and Ari greeted me as I stepped onto the porch. "Hey guys," I called out, waving as I approached them. Summer smiled brightly, while Ari's expression was more guarded. "So, are you ready to go?" Summer asked, her excitement palpable.

"Yeah, I guess I am," I replied hesitantly, glancing at Ari. "You're not seriously going through with it, are you?" Ari interjected, giving me and summer a serious look.

Summer stepped in, her voice confident. "Here's the thing, Ari. I always go through with it," she said, nodding towards me as if to emphasize her point I nodded back to her agreeing with her knowing she does always go through with it.

I met Ari's gaze, unsure of what to say. "What about your big finals thing? You're not going?" I asked, trying to reason with him. "That's what 'grounded' usually means." Ari said as he

shrugged, frustration evident in his expression. "Just copy and paste my plan and sneak out," Summer suggested casually.

"And being a massive rebel has worked out well for you?" Ari retorted, his tone edged with sarcasm.

"At least I don't just roll over when something gets in my way. At least I try," Summer shot back defiantly.

I interjected, trying to ease the tension. "Hey, Ari, maybe you don't want to sneak out, but have you thought about talking to your dad? I know he'll understand," I suggested, hoping to find a middle ground.

Ari considered my words for a moment before nodding slowly. He glanced at Summer, then back at me, a silent acknowledgment passing between us. Summer and I headed inside to gather our things, preparing for the journey ahead.

As we walked along the roadside, the ocean breeze played with our hair, and the warm air enveloped us. I stole glances at the vast expanse of the sea, feeling a sense of freedom.

---

As Summer and I stood on the beach, the morning sun casting a golden hue over the horizon, she turned to me with a mischievous glint in her eye. "What's on your mind?" I asked, already anticipating her response.

"Wanna see how the water is this morning?" Summer replied, her smile infectious.

"Hell yeah, I do!" I exclaimed, matching her enthusiasm. We laughed together and took off running towards the water's edge, leaving our belongings by a small wooden shelter nearby.

We hurried down the weathered stairs and jumped into the ocean, the cool waters enveloping us in a refreshing embrace. It felt invigorating against my skin, and I couldn't help but wish I had brought my surfboard-the waves were perfect for riding. Summer and I began splashing each other, our laughter echoing against the crashing waves.

Suddenly, our playful morning was interrupted by a woman on a surfboard who came dangerously close to hitting Summer's head. Without thinking, I stood up in the water.

"Hey! I know you saw my sister! Are you crazy? You could have hurt her!" I shouted, my voice carrying over the sound of the waves.

The woman looked back at me with a smirk, unfazed by my anger. "What was that?" she retorted, her tone mocking.