6 🌧️

I woke up to the sound of Luciana telling everyone to get ready. As I opened my eyes, thoughts of yesterday popped up in my head. I shook my head, trying to rid myself of them. Reluctantly, I got down from the bed and went to the bathroom. After taking a shower, I dressed in a gray shirt and some baggy shorts. I stepped out of the bathroom to find Bodhi sitting all alone in the room, looking upset.

I sat down beside her and asked, "Hey, are you doing okay?"

Bodhi looked at me, her eyes filled with hurt. "Marlon lied about Ari not wanting us to go visit him."

I was shocked but tried to console her. "I'm sorry. I don't know Marlon or any of y'all that much, but maybe talk to me. There must be a good reason."

She sighed deeply. "I know, but it's still upsetting. He kept it from me, Cam-from me, his girlfriend."

I looked at her earnestly. "Many of us are keeping secrets, Bodhi. Many of us don't know how to deal with it. Give him a chance."

Bodhi took a deep breath and nodded. "I'm sorry about yesterday."

"It's okay," I said, looking down. "It wasn't your fault."

She then mentioned something that made my heart drop. "Cam, she cried herself to sleep last night. You should talk to her."

I felt a surge of guilt. I didn't want Poppy to be hurt. Her feelings mattered to me more than my own. "Shit," I muttered. "I'm sorry, but I can't do it right now. I don't want to say something I'll regret just because I'm upset with Summer."

Bodhi nodded and stood up. "Come on, everyone is probably already ready."

I nodded, and we went outside to join the others. We all got in the cars and I spent the whole ride to the competition staring out the window, lost in my thoughts. The ride was silent and dull. After a few minutes, we arrived at the competition. We got out of the car and found a place to sit. I sat down with Bodhi as Manu began to address us.

"It's pretty flat out there, so you're going to have to take your chances when they come, all right? And try and hold back off those big cutbacks, otherwise that wave's going to race right past you," Manu said. He noticed our distracted and downcast faces and added, "Guys? Look, I don't know what happened last night, and to be quite honest, I don't care. What really gets me is that you guys are the most talented bunch of groms that have come out of Shorehaven in years. So don't waste it, guys, okay? Now walk it off and get your heads in the game. Let's go, up, up, up, up, up, up. Come back when you're ready to focus."

I stood up and approached Manu. "Hey, Manu, I don't think I'm going to be able to surf today."

He looked at me with concern. "Why? What's wrong?"

"I'm bothered by some crap at the moment," I admitted. "I'm not going to do well. I've tried to enter the water and surf with things on my mind and I ended up in the ER."

He nodded understandingly. "It's okay. You can sit this one out, but I want to see you back on your feet soon. You have talent."

I smiled weakly and nodded. I walked over to where Bodhi, Poppy, and Summer were sitting. I plopped down in one of the chairs, not paying much attention to their looks.

"Hey, crazy night," Summer said.

"You know, for someone who thinks girls are too much drama, you sure like to stir a lot of it up yourself," Poppy remarked, looking at Summer.

"Maybe it's good all that stuff came out. You know the truth now and you can start working things out," Summer said.

I scoffed. Summer looked at me, her expression unreadable.