4 🌧️

I sighed as I sat inside the car with Marlon. He glanced over at me and said, “Are you going to the party?”

I looked at him as I started the car and backed away from the parking spot. “I don’t know. I asked Poppy, and she’s going, so I might.”

Marlon nodded and said, “Just... don’t you think it’s a little embarrassing? We aren’t even on the team.”

I nodded and said sarcastically, “Yeah, well, what else can we do? Punch someone? Jump off a cliff?”

Marlon chuckled and then said, “Come on, Cam, we can’t do either. But I don’t think I’m going.”

“Understandable, but I’ll be there. Don’t let me suffer alone,” I said with a grin.

Marlon laughed. “Maybe.”

“I’ll be there, Mar. Come on,” I insisted.

Marlon then said, “Okay, I’ll think about it.”

I grinned and said, “Alright.”

He then asked, “Are we going to Poppy’s house?”

I nodded. “Yeah.”

Marlon nodded, and after a while, we finally got to Poppy’s house. I slowly parked the car and took the keys out, then looked at Marlon and said, “Let’s go, Brazil.”

We both got out of the car and saw Manu. I walked towards him with Marlon following me. “Hey, Manu,” I said.

He looked up and said, “Hey, Cam. Hey, Marlon.”

I sat down, and so did Marlon. Then Manu said, “Y’all wanna play?”

I nodded and took a controller. Marlon said, “You don’t gotta even ask,” as he took a controller. “Just die already!” Marlon yelled at me.

I laughed and said, “Don’t cry, Marlon. It’s okay, child.”

Marlon rolled his eyes at me. Then Manu said, “I don’t get it, eh. I mean, like, she coached Queensland to three National Titles on the trot. Why did they let her leave?”

I shrugged, still focusing on the game. “I don’t know. Maybe... she wanted a new challenge.”

Then Manu asked, looking between us, “Is she a better coach than me?”

Marlon and I laughed and said, “Yeah. Yep,” at the same time.

I looked up and saw Poppy. I was frozen in my spot she was absolutely beautiful. I then thought, *I’m so lucky she’s my girlfriend.* Poppy then said, breaking me out of my frozen state, “Can you help tie me up?” as she stood in front of me.

I cleared my throat and stood up. “Yeah,” I said. I started to tie her shirt when I noticed Marlon and Manu sending me teasing looks. I cleared my throat again, flustered, as I focused my attention back on tying Poppy’s shirt.

“You can’t go in that, by the way,” Poppy said, looking at my outfit. I was wearing sweatpants and a random shirt.

I looked at Marlon nervously and then said to Poppy, “I’m... not going.”

“What? Why?” Poppy asked, concern and confusion in her voice. I could see she was frowning a bit.

I let out a breath and said, “Because it’s desperate. It’s embarrassing enough going to training.”

I saw Marlon nod a little. I looked back at Poppy’s shirt, continuing to tie it. Poppy sighed and said, looking back at me, “Don’t listen to Griff. He’s being a douche. I want you there.”