13 🌧️

Previously on surviving summer

I took a deep breath and walked towards Mom as she walked away, with Summer following. We kept walking until we got to the car. There was silence around us; nobody talked. It was awkward, and it felt like our mother was a stranger. Then Mom broke the silence and said, "We're going back to Shorehaven, picking up y'alls things, and getting on the next flight home."

I looked up at her, a frown on my face, but I decided to stay quiet. Summer said, "Wait, what! I thought we were staying for at least a few more days."

I looked at Mom as she looked at me, expecting me to say something, but I didn't. I could see the look of shock on her face when I stayed silent. She looked away from me and said, "That was before you guys pulled the escape act."

"What the fuck, I didn't even go," I said. Mom looked at me and said, "Language, Cameron."

I nodded and muttered under my breath, "So now you wanna be a mother."

Summer looked at me and asked, "Are you coming?"

I looked at her and asked, "Where?"

"To surf," Summer said.

I stood there for a second, thinking about it, and then I nodded. "Sure."

Summer threw her bag into the car and started to walk away. I followed her as Mom called out for us, saying, "Summer! Cameron! Where are y'all going?"

"We just wanna catch one more wave. We'll be right back," Summer said for the both of us.

"Come back here immediately," Mom said, yelling for us as Summer and I stopped next to Abby.

"I'm sorry," I said as I bumped into her and grabbed my board.

Abby just smiled at me. We both grabbed our surfboards and kept walking. I let out a breath as we got out of Mom's line of sight. We walked along the beach, the sound of waves crashing against the shore filling the air. The sun was setting, casting a golden glow over Shorehaven.

"How are you holding up?" I asked, genuinely curious. Summer was tough, but even she had her breaking points.

She shrugged. "It's a lot, you know? Everything's happening so fast. The competitions, the friends, leaving soon, and Ari... It's overwhelming."

I nodded, understanding all too well. "Yeah, I get that. But you've handled it better than anyone could have expected. You're strong, Summer."

She laughed softly. "Thanks, Cam. That means a lot coming from you."

We walked in comfortable silence for a while until we found the spot we wanted to surf. It was close to the competition, so we could see everyone surf. I got into the water, getting on my board, Summer right behind me doing the same. We paddled until we got to a good distance from shore.

"Do you ever think about what's next?" Summer asked suddenly, breaking the silence.

I looked at her, then back at the ocean. "All the time. It's scary, not knowing what the future holds. But I think that's what makes it exciting too."

She nodded, lost in thought. "Yeah, I guess you're right."

I looked at Summer and smiled at her. "So, you and Ari?"

A big smile crept onto her face. "Shut up. It was out of nowhere."

I nodded. "Yeah, but it was perfect for you. He's a good guy."

I looked and saw Bodhi already in the water for her heat. I turned my head to look at Summer and almost fell off my board when I saw Ari beside her.

"What the hell?" I said.