LXXX. Those Who Kill and Hurt

As the fire that started in the cellar began spreading through the rest of the mansion, a thickening column of smoke ascended toward the dark sky. Hidden amidst the foliage, Tyssa's eyes darted around the building's perimeter, eager for her gaze to rest upon her comrades. However, the only movement she perceived came from Cabdan's guards, who were evacuating the mansion in a frenzy, most likely terrified not just because of the fire, but especially because of Dmitri's experiment...

Tyssa (hushed): Come on guys... Where are you...?

Shortly after, from the side opposite to the home's entrance, three shambling silhouettes emerge, cautiously treading near the garden wall's edge, vigilant for witnesses. Tyssa's eyes widen, as she recognizes her friends.

Tyssa: Finally...!

As the commotion in the streets grew, Tyssa exited from her concealed position and began making her way towards Rel, Punjo and Dmitri. As she got closer, Rel recognized her, signalling that she help him carry Punjo.

Punjo: Nghn...

Now being carried by Rel and Tyssa on both sides, they made their way through the city streets as more and more people passed them by to gawk at the burning luxurious mansion. Not too far, Dmitri coughed aggressively, moving at a similar pace to theirs.

Dmitri: H-how far...?

Rel: Far. To the slums.

Dmitri: The shlumsh...?!

Rel: Got a problem with that?

Dmitri did not reply. Aware that, at their pace, reaching the slums would take them at least an hour, he chose to save his energy.

Tyssa: Guys... Jargen, he...

Punjo coughs, interrupting her.

Rel: ... We figured. Last words we heard from him didn't leave any hint of a reunion. Quite the contrary...

After Tyssa's indirect confirmation of Jargen's passing, the mood got heavier. Nobody said a word for a good while, focusing exclusively on the path ahead. Though they had passed multiple citizens, none had dared to approach them. Their dirty clothes and injuries most likely repulsed the upper echelon of society, which seemed to be concentrated in that area of the city. As they stepped farther and farther from it, the streets had grown silent once more -- it was still early hours, no rising sun in sight.

Rel: What of Syl? Anybody saw him?

Tyssa shakes her head.

Tyssa: When I went to fetch Jargen, Syl was nowhere to be seen... Only a bloody office. I don't know what happened but... I don't think he made it. Actually...

She looks up towards the moon, as her eyes get wetter.

Tyssa: I'm not sure Jargen himself made it out of that room... Whoever that was, it didn't seem like him.

She lifts her shirt, pulling out the journal concealed underneath.

Tyssa: But he did manage to find this. The location of Cabdan's fortune...

Dmitri's ears perked as he looked back upon hearing those words.

Tyssa: Don't get any ideas... They belong to us, now. But...

She opens some of the pages, showing the damage state of the documents therein.

Tyssa: It got soaked in the cellar when that thing attacked us. I tried my best to dry it out, but I don't know how much of it will remain readable...