Epilogue

Stars bolted across the silver-speckled sky in a grand display. Soraya never tired of Starfall, no matter the years that passed.

Barefoot on the balcony, she stood onto her toes. Her fingers curled on the railing as she peered upward to watch the spectacle. A soft smile on her lips.

Laughter and voices surrounded her. People lost in dance and music and celebration in the House of Wind behind her. The inner circle lost among them. Though the last she'd seen of any of them was a flustered Feyre cutting through the crowd in search of her son.

The warmth of a hand found the small of her back, sliding around to rest on her hip. She peeked over her shoulder just as her mate looked around it. Azriel grinned, kissing her lips before pressing a wine glass into her hand.

Not faerie wine, of course. The Town house, given to them as a mating gift, was always stocked with a bit of regular human wine. 

The spymaster loosed a breath, eyes lifting to the sky as his chin fell to her shoulder. Soraya bit back her growing smile, cupping her glass in both hands. She tipped it to her lips with a contented hum.

Azriel chuckled, "Your dress is getting glitter everywhere."

A huff rushed out of her as she shook her head in mild annoyance. She kicked at her skirts where they gathered at her ankles. Dresses were bad enough, but glittery ones? She was miserable.

The shadowsinger's soft laughter trickled through her ears like the breeze that tickled her nose. He swiped his thumb across her cheekbone. It took her a moment to realize he was smearing the dress's shed black sparkles there.

A distant memory sparked, one of her first Starfall. Glimmering starlight streaking hands and faces and bodies. Her face heated.

"I like it." He kissed the spot behind her ear, making her shiver. Azriel's arms came around her waist from behind. "You look like you've been dipped in starlight."

Soraya leaned the side of her head against his. Her mate always had the loveliest words stuffed in his pockets. It was almost a shame that he shared with them so few. Almost. She was greedy enough to be happy keeping them to herself.

Soraya looked along the railing of the balcony as more people gathered. Cassian and Nesta. Rhysand and Feyre. A giggling Nyx atop his father's shoulders, wings fluttering as he wiggled his fingers at the dripping sky. 

Gods, how old was he now? Ten? 

She gasped, slapping a hand over her mouth to silence it. Soraya reached back, swatting at Azriel's chest to get his attention. He rose a brow and peeked around her, looking at her funny. Soraya nodded left. Where a pair of figures had taken a spot at the railing.

Elain shifted in place, hands fumbling behind her back. Lucien laughed softly at something she said. He dipped forward and whispered something into her ear that had her smiling hesitantly.

Soraya felt Azriel's grin against her cheek. "She's not been ignoring him entirely lately. An intriguing development, hm?"

She bit back a grin and steered her eyes back to the sky. Content to watch the stars paint the Night Court for the hours to come.

She was about to speak when Azriel laughed again, "where are your shoes?"

Soraya blinked down at her chilly toes, tucking them beneath her dress. Her body was warmed with the faint, pleasant buzz of wine. She'd hardly noticed the cold nipping at her.

"Somewhere else," she answered simply. "They were irritating me."

Heels. Whoever thought them up ought to be punished.

Azriel shook his head in amusement, his hands rubbing her bare arms. The friction spreading warmth through her. A relieved sigh left her.

Behind them, a group of voices. Nyx trotted over, climbing up onto the railing beside Soraya. The little faerie was growing like a weed. He swung his legs over, peering up with wide awed eyes. Uncaring of the drop he faced. Azriel shifted a fraction closer to the boy. As if readying to catch him should he teeter.

Rhysand and Feyre came up next, looking at Nyx like they wanted to bind him in rope if only to keep him still for a while.

The heir of night blinked a few times into the night sky. His smile, missing a tooth in the front, faltered briefly. Starlight caught in his eyes.

Soraya looked back up herself, confused.

A pale star fell from the sky alongside the rest. Brighter somehow. Streaking the night like a fallen tear. She frowned softly.

"What is-" she was cut off by a voice behind them.

They all turned to see Elain Archeron with her milky gaze glued to the sky. Lucien stood behind her, looking uneasy. 

Nyx reached his fingers upward once more. As if trying to snag one of the spirits in his palm.

The daintiest of smiles touched Elain's rosy lips. "She's here."