Chapter 13: show me how much better you are

Note:
Eme update ko ka agad dahil......
(See you at the end of the story for more details char)

Mikha

Colet’s bed was firmer than usual. It used to be so soft, I could sink in it and fall deep into slumber in minutes. Now, I had no idea why it felt like I was laying on a plank. An exagerration. But still, hindi ako mapakali. I keep shifting in my position, getting side eyes from my girlfriend beside me.

“Babi, bat ang likot mo?” she asked, the light from her phone screen illuminating her confused look.

“Sorry.”

“Are you uncomfy? Wanna switch sides?”

“No na. Nagbago ka ba ng mattress or something?” I asked, shifting once again.

“Hindi naman. Is it the sheets? Palitan ko?”

“No, I’m good. Okay na.”

I smiled reassuringly. But internally, pinipigilan ko lang gumalaw ulit. Pakiramdam ko ay hindi ako makakatulog dito sa kama. I lost track of how long I had my eyes closed, forcing myself and trying not to move a muscle despite my unusual discomfort. Suddenly, Colet poked me awake, angling her phone screen towards me. I squinted at the sudden hit of brightness.

“Sorry ginising kita. Pero look at this, oh.”

I tried to make out what was displayed on Colet’s screen. It was her facebook feed. At the very top was a shared post from someone I didn’t recognize. The paragraph was long, too long that I figured it was something major if Colet would wake me up just to show me. I skimmed over until my eyes stopped at a name, and the words that followed.

Please keep our dear Maloi in your prayers. She sustained serious injuries during a terrible accident, but we hope for her speedy recovery. #PrayForMaloi

“Why are you showing me this?” I asked her.

“Wala lang, thought you’d like to know. Grabe, no? Parang last week lang, kaharap natin siya. Ngayon, some comments are saying baka hindi na siya makalakad.”

“Comments? Patingin.”

I tried to grab her phone so I could get a better look, but before my fingers could even brush against its edges, Colet jerked it away abruptly. It was almost a blur. It wasn’t just the speed of her movement, but she suddenly looked tense, quickly concealing the flash of panic on her face which I caught. All that because I tried to grab her phone? Once again, my mind stopped me from overthinking. But I couldn’t help but voice something out, just to ease myself. “Just wanted to see the comments.” I said. She was avoiding eye contact.

“I can read them out loud na lang, babi. There’s too many, and I feel bad na inistorbo ko yung tulog mo. Just lay down.”

It was enough to not make me wanna press further. Her silent, pleading eyes didn’t do it all on their own, it was also that damn chain impulsively stopping myself. Until now, that part of my thoughts is still vaulted tightly, forbidding me to go further. Colet would never do anything to hurt me. Aiah was lying. Repeating the words had become a routine. I was sure. I should be sure. Because otherwise, it’ll all be for nothing. I had defended Colet for nothing. I had ruined my relationship with my best friend for nothing. Most of all, she would win. And I’ve let Aiah win more than enough. The chain didn’t seem so bad now, but it was slowly starting to crack.

“Matutulog na ko.” I responded, wrapping the comforter over me.

“Hey, are you upset?” she asked, finally shutting her phone down and hiding it under her pillow. Now, the only source of light was from outside through her bedroom window.