09: Touch Him And You're Dead

The sun was bright in Sta. Monica University. The sun rays shot through the windowpane of a classroom on two vacant seats and the sound of chalk brushing against the blackboard echoed.

One person couldn't help but shot a few glances towards those vacant chairs. The class started and it ended, yet still none of the two students who sat there with occassional bickering and fighting during classes arrived.

That person removed his glasses and rubbed his nose bridge. He put his glasses back again before walking towards Heather who was busy with her phone.

Heather quickly put down her phone when she saw someone coming, screen down and startled. "Good morning, President." She was quick to conceal her surprise.

Hansel nodded at her. "Good morning, Heather. Have you heard anything about Aeiou and Zed?"

Heather shook her head and pouted. "Honestly, no. I messaged them earlier this morning but no answer. But it's not like they always have to tell me where they are. Why?"

Hansel took a deep breath. "No, it's just that Aeiou is not the type of person to be absent in a class not unless he's dying. And... I also heard there's an accident last night on the beach and that's close where Aeiou lives."

An awkward chuckle came out of Heather's mouth but she transitioned that awkward chuckle into a genuine laugh before saying, "I heard about that accident too. But as far as I've heard no one was hurt. Maybe Aeiou and Zed just went to a vacation somewhere and didn't tell us."

Hansel sighed. "Sounds like kidnapping to me."

Heather smiled, "As long as Aeiou is with Zed, he will just be fine."

"I see." Hansel walked back to his chair with worry bouncing on his chest.

Heather was good in hiding something, but Hansel was a student official and he knew exactly when someone was lying.

After fifteen minutes, their new subject teacher arrived. The class started smoothly, however Hansel tried his best to focus on the lesson but his brain was too occupied by Aeiou and Zed's whereabouts. Specially now that he saw some inconsistencies in Heather's responses.

It wasn't about fifteen minutes in the lesson when the teacher's phone rang once. The teacher dropped the chalk and swiped her phone open. She read on her phone, announcing to the class, "Aeiou and Zed is representing this school to an exchange program in Spain. Hence, their absence for some time. Their return date is still pending. But as soon as they arrive please congratulate them for their efforts."

The whole class clapped except Hansel who was baffled. But he then soon clapped as well to show courtesy because he is the President.

Hansel thought, An exchange program? I have never heard of anything about that.

.
.
.
.

Zed woke up that morning with Philip across Aeiou's bed. Sipping coffee from a pearl cup with golden handles in front of the marble bedside table beside Aeiou, Philip saw him opening his eyes. "Good morning, son."

"Good morning, Tay." Zed stretch his muscled arms upwards.

"Do you want some coffee?"

"No, I'm good. Umm..." Zed looked at Aeiou and the guy was still asleep. Worry flashed on Zed's face. "So he's still asleep. I should have asked the doctor when he will wake up."

Philip chuckled. "He awoke earlier while I was making coffee. But you're asleep and you won't let go of his hand so he just went back to sleep instead."

"What? He should have woken me up." Zed's eyes widened.

"I don't think he wanted to. He can also speak clearly and recognizes us."