Chapter 7- Welcome Home

CHAPTER 7
I sat in a waiting chair thinking, and wondering if not going back when I promised was a good idea. I was afraid as to why she'd quit replying. Thoughts and possibilities swam around my head like fish in an aquarium. Did she find someone new? Did she just quit because she wanted to? Part of me worried if something happened. If she was hurt or injured in some way... and I was afraid and ignored it.
It was four months passed my birthday, which was the day I was supposed to go back. The day I should've gone back. Curiosity finally brought me to the airport, even though there was a chance that she could've found someone new. I was boarding the plane heading to Minot, North Dakota. Where my Uncle would pick me up and take me to Dunseith.
I sat in my designated seat... by the window. Which isn't bad when you're not afraid of heights, but I am. I was nervous, and tapped my foot because of it. I looked at my hand and saw the promise ring Lydia had given me. She was so upset about me leaving, but it's been almost a year and a half since she's seen me. Since I've seen her, and she quit writing me after six months. I spun the ring around my finger with my other hand and watched as the diamond circled round and round. It wasn't long before tears streamed down my cheeks. I missed her so much, and I loved her more. It was two and a half hours of sheer anticipation. It was like watching a great movie, and it put you on the edge of your seat and left you with a cliff-hanger.
"Hello miss." A man greeted as he sat next to me. I looked at him, and he held out his hand for me to shake. He had dark mahogany red hair, and light green eyes. "Kyle Sanchez."
"Naomi Reynolds." I said shaking his hand.
"Naomi." He repeated. "What a beautiful name?"
"Well, it's my name." I knew he was flirting with me, and I couldn't wait to see his face shocked when I tell him. "It's no use flirting with me."
"Are you going to play hard to get?" He asked smiling. "Most girls don't get that far with me."
"Well I'm not most girls." I said leading him on.
"Really." He leaned in. Then he straightened back up, and cleared his throat. "All the girls are the same."
"Nope." I answered. "Not all girls are the same."
"What makes you say that?"
"Why don't you figure it out? What makes one girl different from other girls?"
"Ooh a guessing game." He smiled. Then thought for a moment. "You're the one girl out of many who won't be with me for the money? Maybe because you have your own?"
"Actually my parents cut me off because of my real reason." I smiled. "So no."
"Damn." He said lowering his head.
"Think about it." I said. "It's the one thing that would be quite a good reason for me not to be with you."
"I'm unattractive." He blurted out.
"It has nothing to do with your unattractiveness." I said, not denying that he was unattractiveness. "You're pretty ugly, but that's not why."
"Well your frank." He looked at me slightly offended. "Well the only thing I can think of then is I don't have enough money, and you are a gold-digger."
"Hell no."
"Wait... Then you're in love with someone else, and you want to be faithful to them." He said gesturing to my ring.
"Close enough." I said looking out the window. I just kept my gaze at the clouds because I was afraid to look down.
"That's not it?" He asked. "Is this person that you're in love with a girl?"
"What?" I looked at him processing his question.
"Are you a lesbian?" He repeated slowly to be sure that I heard him.
"Oh. Yes."
"No problem. I don't mind a lesbian girl." He smiled again. "Especially one as hot as you are. Honestly, if it weren't for you leading me up to it... I would've never guessed."
"Thanks." I said sarcastically. He was silent for a while, and I stared back at the clouds. It was an evening flight so I watched the sky as the sun went down. The clouds were changing colors. Pink, purple, orange, red, yellow. Then sun set was very beautiful. I remembered when Lydia and I would sit on her roof and watch it every day. We'd hold hands and talk about just the most random shit. Sometimes she'd tell me her dreams of becoming a famous fashion designer. She was good, and she always knew the best things to wear. Just imagining her out there, designing and making her own styles and clothes. I remembered one conversation about it.