Chapter 1

I gripped the cotton cushion of my chair, watching the bright stage lights hit Jack's face

I gripped the cotton cushion of my chair, watching the bright stage lights hit Jack's face. He gestures his words with his hands, his face glowing the more he talks about his ambitions towards winning the election.

I was nervous as shit. But he had never looked more confident than up on that stage.

This was his first official speech as the democractic candidate for President. Up until this point, the campaign planning had been grueling. Long nights, seemingly infinite cups of coffee, and more time spent discussing policy initiatives rather than seeing our families. But truly nothing could dampen my devotion as I watched Jack shake hands and share his vision for the future with the crowds. Each handshake, every earnest smile, radiated his genuine passion for change. His genuine charisma and ambition triumphed more than the legacy of his family. He was uniquely his own.

I sat in a section close to the stage but still embezzled within the crowd. I could see the people's faces, their eyes glowing and smiles reaching the corners of their face as they watched him speak earnestly. 

Campaign managers typically shared the stage with the candidate, usually off to the side. Long were the days when campaign managers could sit back in private, smoke cigars, and have informal conversations about how to win California. However, this was his moment and only his. He deserved to address the American people on his own, sharing his goals to create a stronger, free world.

His words flowed from his lips, his voice steady and strong. He gripped the podium, finishing up his planned speech I stayed up working on for so many nights.

"I seek what is right as I serve you, the American people. I promise to uphold my beliefs rooted in liberty, fairness, equality, and justice. Thank you very much," He waves to the crowd, the applause filling the room.

A smile tugs on my lips.

He crossed the stage, exiting to a door leading to a private meeting room. I followed behind, occasionally shaking hands with the crowd. Being in these assemblies and campaign events solidified my love for this job every time. Being around like-minded people who sought genuine change was thrilling and fervently pushed me forward everyday. I wanted nothing more than to win.

I wanted nothing more than Jack to win.

"How'd I do? God I almost shit myself up there." I laughed at his remark, knowing damn well he did incredible.

I walked up to him with a big smile on my face, giving him a proud hug. "Oh shut up, you were incredible out there. Everyone just ate it up. My speech really paid off," I winked, as I nudged his shoulder with my own. I walked towards the red colored table towards the back of the room spread with a variety of food. Watching him give the speech made me so nervous I felt like I could eat the entire spread.

"It takes two to tango love. I made that speech come to life," He walked towards the table, grabbing a glass of water. His arm brushed against mine, making me look up at him. 

I paused, feeling the flutter of something utterly foreign to me. He had never called me love before. A chunk of his hair fell onto his face, sitting perfectly on his temple. Curiosity strikes my limbs and I turn my body towards him, captivated by an energy that flowed from him. I felt like the people in the crowd; utterly entranced by all that was him. 

I unconsciously focused on his scent; the feeling like a warm mug between my fingers early in the morning. It filled my nose, sending electrical signals from my head to my lower back.

"You always know how to bring out the best in my words," I replied, my voice softer than I intended. He looked at me then, really looked at me, and for a moment, I found myself completely and absolutely bewitched by the man before me. And not just the man I had envisioned a future of the country with.

"Troi," he started, then hesitated, his usual confidence giving way to something softer. "I couldn't do this without you. You know that, right?"

I smiled, feeling a familiar warmth spread through me. "Oh of course not, I know I'm the best you'll get," I replied, trying to keep my tone light even as my heart pounded in my chest.

The tension swallowed me whole. I wondered if he felt that too.

I must actually be going insane.

He paused as he stared into my eyes. The loud talking of the crowd in the other room being the only thing we could hear. And the scent of him being the only thing I could focus on. I could've sworn my soul was exposed to him right there. I heard him take a quick breath before walking swiftly towards the couch to sit.

I cleared my throat as I looked down onto the spread, "I should probably call the event manager of the Hyatt to confirm everything is in order for Friday."

"And I should probably up your pay soon. You're basically my assistant and campaign manager in one."

"This was your first event of your campaign. We do what we can. I promised to help you in whatever way I can." And I was truthful. In our initial conversations I promised that I was dedicated to his vision. We share the same values, the same core beliefs, and the same vision towards a better, more innovative America.

He leaned back on the couch, draping his foot onto his leg and his arm on the back of the chair. His eyes still on me, studying, searching. "I know you really believe in this. Do you believe in me?" he asked, his voice almost a whisper.

"I believe in this," I said, my own voice just as soft. "I believe in you."

It was just the two of us, locked in a silent understanding, a bond forged through shared dreams and endless nights of hard work.

He smiled, a genuine, heartfelt smile that made my heart ache with something I couldn't quite name. "Thank you, Troi. For everything."

I nodded, unable to trust my voice. The tension in the room a living thing, a spark I couldn't ignore.

"Well," I finally managed, trying to break the spell. "I better get on that call."

I chose to completely forget about the food and decided to make the call instead. The rest of the campaign team followed into the room as I left thankfully.

Fuck. I found him attractive. And I'm not just anybody insignificant to him.

I'm his fucking campaign manager.

Authors note:

hey guys! thank you so much for clicking on my story. i wrote this in like 3 hours so its pretty trash, i will go back and update this i promise. and i will update as fast as possible. im an adult with a big girl job unfortunately. enjoy ;)