Chapter 7

It was Saturday, and I finally had the day off to focus on myself and take care of any chores I had put off

It was Saturday, and I finally had the day off to focus on myself and take care of any chores I had put off. I had a couple of dishes piled up, clothes lying around, makeup splattered all over my desk, but really my whole apartment needed to be cleaned. 

I began to clean, blasting Kid Cudi and jamming as I went. The day has been so slow, it drags as I drag my feet through the different rooms to wipe and spray and dust and sweep. All the while he's on my mind like a melody stuck in my head, and I catch myself smiling through all of it. Jack texts me at about six in the evening asking about Monday, and I start to crave his presence so badly that I feel like an addict.

We were going to confront Elizabeth on Monday, presenting our findings and gauging her motivations. I was a bit nervous, but angrier more than anything. I knew I shouldn't be angry, but I had interviewed her myself and opened up opportunities for her within our team. I got to know her and her family as well, in awe of their love for eachother. I longed for the family dynamic myself; a loving husband and children whom I would protect with everything I had. She had betrayed us and I didn't understand why.

I tried to shove my thoughts away about the situation, lighting a eucalyptus candle and turning on the TV. I settled on a sci-fi movie, curling up on the couch and cuddling with a soft blanket. I considered going to the gym or even working on things for work, but it was my day off. I didn't feel like exhausting too much energy and frankly I deserved it.

About half way through the movie, I received another text from Jack. I felt my heart quicken as I read the text.

hey, are you doing anything?

I smile broadly, the intense feeling in my stomach swallowing me whole. I felt like the girl in the movie, hopelessly smitten by the love interest.

no! whats up?

I'm pretty close to your place right now, i was seeing a friend. would it be okay if I came over??

Fuck yes, a thousand times yes, I thought. It wouldn't be too strange if he came over, as he has before. We sat around my dining table last time, drinking beer, and discussing things from our personal lives. It was refreshing for us both, as we developed our friendship outside of the office.

But this time felt different, it was different. For me at least. If I was just my usual self then nothing would be alarming. He would sense nothing.

What the fuck do I wear? Should I rearrange my apartment a little? What perfume do I spray? Fuck I'm already overthinking everything about this I feel like I might throw up.

yeah! just give me about 15 to pick up a little! I send the text quickly, pausing the movie. I frantically ran towards my room, looking through my closet debating on what to wear.

What I wear is extremely important in this situation. It will send a message that either I mean business, or I'm trying to get it all ripped off of my body.