s e v e n

After dealing with insufferable Harriet and her annoying fiancé, Theo, you needed more than bourbon.

You regretted coming to the engagement party and wondered why you'd agreed to come in the first place. You found yourself regretting your decision to come, questioning what force or impulse had compelled you to agree in the first place. You had been in the right frame of mind when you accepted the invitation, so what had changed?

Harriet seemed fake, and Theo had the audacity to question you and your work, as well as who you knew. It was infuriating to think that you hadn't stood up for yourself, that you had just accepted their comments without pushing back.

Maybe you were overthinking things. Perhaps they actually liked you, or at least were trying to be friendly.
Perhaps they genuinely liked you, or at least that was the facade they were putting on.

And then there was the frustration of knowing Jack Schlossberg—son of the president—was supposedly present.

You hadn't seen him or his entourage and there was nothing to suggest he was around. To be honest, you hadn't explored the venue much, so he could be just about anywhere.

But why did it bother you so much? Why did his presence matter to you? It seemed like you were letting these thoughts take over, making you question why you were so worked up about the whole situation.

It really wasn't that deep. You got invited to an engagement party, and an ex-client happened to be there.

It was just a party, and seeing someone from your past wasn't a huge deal.

As you watched Harriet and Theo gather everyone outside towards the podium they had set up, you debated whether or not to join them. The crowd was already moving, excited chatter filling the air as people made their way to the makeshift stage.

You felt a wave of distaste for the whole scene—the pomp, the pretentiousness, and the socialites who seemed more interested in flaunting their wealth than enjoying the moment. The thought of mingling with them made you cringe.

You hated the way Harriet and Theo seemed to love the spotlight, and the idea of having to participate in their little social drama was almost unbearable. The thought of stepping into the crowd, surrounded by people you had no real interest in, was unappealing.

After a moment's hesitation, you decided to stay put. The spectacle outside would go on with or without you. You settled back into your seat, focusing on keeping yourself detached from them. The evening was already off to a rough start, and you weren't about to force yourself into an uncomfortable situation just to fit in.

You continued to watch Harriet and Theo from a distance, you began to feel a sense of guilt for staying so detached. Harriet stood confidently with a glass of champagne in one hand and a microphone in the other, scanning the sea of faces in front of her. It was clear she was preparing to give a toast, her posture both straight and expectant.

The crowd continued to build, with more guests joining in and creating a growing buzz of excitement. The atmosphere seemed lively and festive..

You could see how much effort they had put into this event, and a part of you felt sorry for not being more involved. Maybe you were being overly harsh in your judgment.