୨⎯024⎯୧

Tatyana

"WHY? HOW DO I KNOW YOU'RE NOT GOING TO TRY TO DROWN AND KILL ME?"

I ask him with my arms folded as a tentative smile forms on his face as he looks at me expectantly. "I have never had any intention of killing you. Ever. But if the thought does occur, you'll be the first to know." He responds smugly.

Dick.

I hesitated, unsure of how to respond. Part of me wanted to go inside and try to drink my mother's unwelcome disturbance in my life out, but another part of me recognized he was probably trying to take my mind off everything that was stressing me.

He held my gaze, his expression open and vulnerable. Swallowing my pride, I took a tentative step towards the pool before tossing my phone next to my towel and textbook, the cool tiles beneath my feet sending a shiver up her spine.

"Come on," he said softly, holding out his hand towards me. "It's nice in here."

I took another deep breath, then nodded slowly. With a small smile tugging at my lips, I reached out and placed my hand in his before stepping into the water. 

The cool water enveloped my legs, sending a shock of sensation through me. I couldn't help but glance up at him, catching the faintest glimmer of amusement in his eyes.

Our closeness in the water was unavoidable now, the physical proximity forcing an intimacy that echoed our emotional entanglement.

He slowly lets go of my hand and leans back to create a space between us as he looks at me.

"H-how much of that did you hear?" I ask him softly.

"Enough to know that she doesn't deserve you as a daughter. You are many things, Tatyana. Not only are you exceptionally beautiful, but you are also kind, passionate, and very intelligent. You deserve much more than that." His words carried a touch of sympathy, yet there was an underlying tone that seemed to imply he had a better grasp of my past than I was comfortable with.

"Kane..." My words fell short when he cut me off, "You are allowed to be upset at me for interrupting your call, but you cannot be angry at me for wanting to protect you. I find it strange that family has a different meaning in America than it does where I come from. How can one be a mother and hurt her child without any remorse? I'm sorry that you had to go through so much pain growing up." He tells me with his eyes searching mine.

I didn't think he cared that much.

Did he think I was angry? I was more embarrassed than anything. Having him see me so vulnerable and hurt, I didn't like that he was able to see parts of me I kept hidden for years.

"I'm not angry. I actually should thank you."

"You don't have to thank me." He tells me refusing to accept any appreciation I want to give him.

"I do. You may be the first person who has stood up for me like that. Ever. So I'm thanking you, and you're just going to have to put with me doing that, Kane." I say with a soft smile.

"I'm not sure if it means anything but..." He pauses with his voice carrying a weight of experience, a hint of sorrow tinged with resilience. "I understand how it feels," he began, his gaze steady yet introspective.

"Not being close to a parent. There was a time when my father and I weren't even on speaking terms. A time when he hated me, and I hated him."

My eyebrows raised imperceptibly, curiosity piqued by this unexpected revelation. I had assumed his relationship with his father was close, I mean that's how it seemed. The only reason he decided to marry me was because his father wanted him to.