8

After everything, she had to lick her wounds and return to Max who readily accepted her. Her relationship with Max was not what she wanted. He was not even around for her birthday. He had a gig somewhere to perform, being a local musician. This was why she hired the guy who posed as her devoted lover. How could she be alone on her birthday? She wondered. The idea was disheartening.

Now, Max was calling. For the first time, she was feeling a disconnect from him. Perhaps it was due to her sights being set on her prospects with Steve. Or perhaps it was due to the NYSC challenge. Or perhaps, her goal of marrying a wealthy man was now more clearer and Max did not fit in. He was still a struggling musician. The worst thing was that, he did not want a steady relationship.

The insistent ring of her phone had her pausing her thoughts and receiving his call.

"Hello. She said.

"Hey Baby, I'm so sorry I was not there for your birthday."

"Well, you were doing your thing."

"Yeah, so who was the guy that gave you the gift?"

"Why should you care?"

"Hmm. Anyway if he's someone you're seeing, I should know."

"We are in an open relationship." She reminded him.

"Yes, but this is the first, maybe second time you're with someone and knowing you, that someone might be serious. The first one almost married you. Now this one gives you an expensive gift? Come on, you posted it. I saw it. Is this serious?"

"I don't know."

"Hmm. Well, I have something important to tell you."

"What?"

"I don't want an open relationship anymore."

Cassy was surprised. "What?"

"Yes. I am serious. I have just gotten a wake-up call. I'm twenty-eight. I'm not a child anymore. I have not been for a long time. You have tolerated me for all this while. And I just want to say that I'm truly sorry."

"Wait is this because of the man and the gift?"

"Did I say this to you when that rich dude almost married you?"

Cassy thought about it. "No."

"I'm serious, Baby. I want us to start afresh. Can we talk one on one?"

Cassy liked what she was hearing but then she had other goals in life now.

"Meanwhile, guess what?" his voice was calm but excited.

"What?" she asked curiously.

"I have signed a contract with Harmony Records."

"What?" Cassy was shocked. They were an A-List record label. That meant, Max was no longer a struggling musician.

He chuckled. "It has happened Baby. No more struggling. I know you have a comfortable life already but I can now add to that."

"Oh my God, Max" Cassy was excited. She momentarily forgot about Steve. "Congratulations."

"Thanks baby, so what do you say to being officially mine, exclusively?"

"Does that mean you're also mine exclusively?"

"Yes." Said Max.

She giggled.

"And you? Will you be mine exclusively?"

Cassy smiled, happy. "Yes." She said. Perhaps the last dare game was working already, she thought. Max was not a billionaire but she could settle for a millionaire. It was a good start. "Yes" she repeated, delighted.

***

"Great." He replied.

Remembering the NYSC issue, she became somewhat pensive. "I have my own news." She informed him.

"Okay." He listened.

"I have been called up for NYSC. I'm leaving soon."

"What?" Max was shocked. "Didn't you serve?"

Cassy explained what had happened. There was nothing else to do. There was no point hiding it.

"Hmm. Why now when we are about to patch things up in our lives?" Max was disappointed. "I mean, one whole month without seeing you?"

She shrugged. "I think all will be well. We can chat and video call and all that stuff."

"Yeah. Well, where were you posted to?"

"Wester."

"It's quite far. You have to work your posting after camp back to San Jonas."

"Um...actually I really want to serve in Wester. I don't want to mess with fate too much."

"We have to discuss this. It should not be a final decision."

"No problem."

"A date with me in the evening then?"

"Okay." She didn't see why not.

"I love you, babe." He said.

"Love you too."

After the call, Cassy smiled, somewhat wanly. Everything seemed to be falling in place for her. Still, she was worried because she was yet to be given her dare.

***

That evening she hung out with Max. They had dinner and went to the cinema. As they waited for the movie to start, he held her hand.

"I am going to miss you."

"Me too." Cassy was sincere. His devotion was something she had always wanted. And now she had it for the first time.

"If all things go well, I will fly to Wester and see you on any of the visiting days." He promised.

"I look forward to that." She hugged him. He held her close, reached into his pocket and gently releasing her from his hold, he showed her a small fancy box.

Cassy stared at him, puzzled as he opened the box. She could not believe what he was doing. This was all so fast. He was going to propose? Her eyes expanded. Her heart was beating fast. She stared at him, speechless. She felt like her reality was becoming blurred. Was this as a result of the game or was it fate? She wondered as she stared at Max, stunned.