Chapter 38

"Shaman, I have questions about my brother," I step forward, and as expected, the dragon brute followed, after I convinced him to grant me a moment to say goodbye.

I turned to face him. "Can I have some privacy? It's not like I can escape your unbearing presence. Respect my boundaries for once."

To my shock, he acquiesced.

The witch and I conversed softly, her gaze and touch away from mine. Before bidding farewell to my father, a small, weathered paper materialized before my eyes, held by two thin fingers with one short nail and one long.

I accepted it, unfolding the paper with trembling fingers.

Scrawled upon it was a hurried message. I stared at it blankly before glancing back at the old woman.

"I can't read." I confessed, cheek burning.

She shook her head, chin pointing toward the closed door. "Listening," she cautioned.

Of course, Zerberus could hear everything.

"What does it say?"

She nodded at the paper, the numerous earrings adorning her ears and nose tinkling.

Gesturing and mimicking a dragon, she then pointed at me before drawing a slashing motion through the air.

The only word she uttered while indicating me then the paper was "Freedom."

Hope surged within me.

I tucked the paper in my pocket.

I could learn to read. No...

I will learn.

*******

My black dragon ally and previous transport was nowhere to be seen as we stepped outside my cottage. Dread gripped me, fearing Zerberus had inflicted harm upon him.

"I sent him back," was all Zerberus said when I asked.

"He is mine! You can't just dismiss him like that!" I snapped.

"No. I am yours. Nothing else is," Zerberus snapped back, latching his hands around my waist and hoisting me up.

With his leathery, big wings outstretched, we ascended into the air. My feet left the familiar terrain, the hope, my home, everything certain once more.

Beneath us, my father stood with clasped hands, his face etched with worry as the shaman chanted incantations.

"Be brave, Odette!" He cried out, "I'll find you! I promise!"

"I love you, father!" I called out, my tears snatched away by the rushing wind.

Once upon a time, shedding tears in public would have been considered unusual, but now, with the streets nearly deserted, there was no one to cast judgment. If any humans witnessed the sight of a cruel dragon bearing me away, they were likely left gaping in disbelief, uncaring of my tears. I always loathed to be seen crying. Now? I didn't care anymore.

Too much had happened. It felt like weight of the heavens was crashing down upon me.

As Zerberus flew us low to the ground, the biting cold and howling wind made the journey unbearable. Suddenly, a fierce storm descended upon the land, engulfing us in its tempestuous fury.

"You are sad, my dragon doesn't like it," he murmured as he veered left.

I baked a laugh, tears drying out on my cheeks. "To feel sadness, you'd need to possess a heart."

Two fingers touched my chin to urge my head back. "But I do have a heart now."

"You're repeating yourself." I countered, averting my gaze to the side.

He let out a low growl. "Put an end to this sadness. Now."

I scoffed at him. He couldn't be real!

"It's an order." He hissed

Any semblance of breath I had managed to draw into my lungs to answer this cruel, senseless dragon fled.

I saw them.

Sleek shadows prowling at the forest's edge near my village. Their heads turned in unison, pairs of keen, frost-glazed eyes following our flight.

Behind them, larger forms loomed, advancing steadily. Two, three, four... and more.

Dozens of them, each one surpassing the last in size and menace.

Their leathery, red and black skin as the clouds overhead clashed and fought, their eyes aglow with an incandescent red. Their smiles all fangs, as they scented the air.

The sound of claws and talons clicking against stone echoed as they approached the outskirts of my village. Good gods.

"What are those?" I exclaimed in horror.

"Demons," Zerberus replied calmly.

"We must go back! We can't just—"

"I don't have the time."

I gasped at him. He avoided my eyes, his gaze fixed ahead as though he had sensed their presence long before I had.

"Sometimes I think it was better to remain asleep for one more century than having to explain you everything," he grunted before I could speak.

"But the demons will hurt— "

"They have no need to feast on those frail humans," he cut me off again, "they have far more enticing prey waiting in their realm."

"And why are they here?" I demanded, my heart pounding with fear.

"Because of you."

My heart stopped, as my eyes followed those evil shapes approaching the outskirts of my village.

"You attracted them here."

"How?! No! That's not—"

"You are my soulmate. They know you interrupted my slumber." "Unfortunately," I remarked.

He ignored my comment. "They will take human females from the village that produced previous soulmates in hopes of awakening their own dormant masters," he explained, his voice betraying no hint of concern.

"And what would happen if these girls won't?"

He shrugged nonchalantly, unfazed by my agitation.

"Tell me, damn you!" I yelled.

He rolled his eyes. "They'll take them back to your stupid village and hope their future rat daughters become soulmates."

I let out a sigh, but it was short lived.

"You can just hope they're satiated..." Zerberus let out a cruel, husky chuckle, "although, knowing demons, that's highly unlikely."