026

Nights in the main hall and a terrible game

------------------

Chapter five

Third person view

Prof. Dumbledore ordered all the Gryffindors back to the Great Hall, where they were joined ten minutes later by the Hufflepuffs, Ravenclaws and Slytherins, all looking extremely stunned.

"The professors and I need to carry out a thorough search of the castle," the headmaster told the students as Professors McGonagall and Flitwick closed the doors to the hall that led to the lobby. "I'm afraid that for your own safety, you will have to spend the night here. I want the prefects to stand guard at the exits to the lobby, and I'm going to put the head boy and girl in charge of that. They must inform me immediately of any disturbance there may be" added Dumbledore, addressing Percy, who assumed an air of enormous pride and importance. "Send one of the ghosts to warn me."

The Prof. Dumbledore stopped, as he was leaving the hall, and said: "Ah, yes, you will need it..." With a careless wave of his wand, the long tables moved close to the walls and, with another touch, the floor was covered with hundreds of cute purple sleeping bags. "Sleep well" said Prof. Dumbledore, closing the door behind him.

The hall immediately began to buzz with the excited voices of the students; the Gryffindors were telling the rest of the school what had just happened.

"Everyone in sleeping bags!" shouted Percy. "Hurry up and stop talking! The lights will be turned off in ten minutes!"

"Come on, guys" said Ron to Harry, Isaac and Hermione; and they picked up four sleeping bags and dragged them into a corner.

"Do you think Black is still in the castle?" whispered Hermione anxiously.

"Dumbledore thinks he might be." Isaac said, trying to get comfortable in his sleeping bag. "Why is this floor so hard...?"

"It's lucky he chose tonight, you know," said Hermione, leaning on her elbows to talk. "The one night we weren't in the Tower..."

"I'm guessing he's lost track of time, since he's running away," said Ron. "He didn't realize it was Halloween. Otherwise I would have invaded the room."

Hermione shivered. All around, colleagues asked the same question: How did he get in?

"Maybe he knows how to Apparate." suggested a nearby Ravenclaw student. "It appears suddenly, you know, without anyone seeing where."

"Probably disguised himself," said a fifth-year Hufflepuff.

"Maybe he flew," Dean Thomas suggested.

"Frankly, am I the only person who bothered to read Hogwarts: A History?" Hermione asked angrily to Isaac, Ron and Harry.

"Probably," said Isaac. "Why?"