Chapter 1

Kartik's POV

I was bored, as I swirled the liquid in the glass.

" Maybe try to switch on the lights, next time you decide to invade my home" a voice came

I looked at him with an unamused expression, as he flipped a switch and whole area was lighted. I was so used to his house that I could navigate easily even with a blindfold.

" That's what you're here for" I said as I poured him a glass, and moved it towards him, " enjoy"

" Thankyou sir, for my own drink" he said annoyed, but then he slided the papers to me.

I took a deep breath and studied them, he aka Nick was my best friend since college, I don't even know when that happened, he just kinda self declared it one day and I didn't bother correcting him. He runs a security company, he was always into cybersecurity, one time he even got into trouble for hacking, anyways sometimes I call in a favour with him. Though, I wanted him to work at my company when I founded it but he denied.

" Is that all?" I asked reading the contents of the paper

" You doubting me?" He glared at me, yup he loves his job and doesn't like it when people doubt him about it.

" Nope, just confirming" I said and set the papers aside.

That was when I heard another pair of footsteps, as far as I remember his father was not home. A girl descended the stairs, she looked to be in her 20's, was Nick having a girl over?

I gave him a knowing smile,which I rarely do, until I have to provoke him. He noticed my smile and instantly knew something was wrong with me

" You ok Kartik?" He asked, actually concerned, but then he followed my gaze and looked at her and shook his head.

" Idiot, that's my sister " no sooner did these words came out of his mouth, I jerked my head towards him

" She just graduated and is back home now, I told you once, I guess" Nick said taking a sip from his glass, and a warm aroma of food floated around, as she warmed some leftover pasta.

I think, Nick might've mentioned her, but she was never around, this is my first time seeing her.

" Can I have some pasta" Nick asked playfully as she was walking back to the stairs with a hot bowl in her hands

" Sure" she said and continued walking

" Then where are you going " Nick asked confusedly

" You asked if you can have some, you never asked me to serve you some " she said trying to maintain her poker face, but I could see a hint of smirk.

Nick scowled as she went upstairs

" She's my half sister, was never around, I'm not used to her and her smart mouth" Nick sighed, he was worried about her, why?

Vote.Comment.Follow

~Ellen