35

As room assignments were being made, the manor's grand foyer filled with activity. Arabella flitted from guest to guest, her laughter ringing out above the general hubbub. Her silk skirts sung softly as she moved.

"Lord and Lady Fairfax!" Arabella called out, her arms opening in welcome. "How delightful to see you."

Lord Fairfax, a jovial man with a ruddy complexion, boomed, "Lady Arabella! William, old boy!" He clapped William on the shoulder, nearly knocking him off balance. "Splendid day for a gathering, isn't it?"

William steadied himself, offering a wry smile. "Indeed it is, Fairfax. Though perhaps a bit early for such... enthusiastic greetings?"

As more guests arrived, Arabella's greeted about. "Lord Rutherford," she said, her voice honeyed, "I've put you in the Green Room. I do hope you don't mind; I recall you mentioning once that green was your lucky color."

Lord Rutherford's eyebrows shot up, his monocle nearly falling from his eye. "My dear Lady Arabella, your memory is as impeccable as your hospitality." His gaze drifted meaningfully towards some of the other women, who were engaged in conversations with one another. "Though I daresay, with such charming company, I'd feel fortunate even in a broom closet."

Arabella bit back a smile, her fan fluttering to hide her amusement. "I'm sure you would, my lord. Now, if you'll excuse me..."

She glided towards William, who was greeting the Viscount Blackwood and his sister, Lady Penelope. "Viscount, Lady Penelope! How wonderful to see you both." She linked her arm through her husband's. "William, darling, why don't you show the Viscount to the Red Room? Lady Penelope, you'll be just across the hall."

The Viscount's eyes lit up, a roguish grin spreading across his face. "The Red Room? Isn't that rather close to where Lady Esinam is staying?"

Arabella's face was the picture of innocence, though her eyes danced with mirth. "Is it? I hadn't realized. How fortunate for you, Viscount."

As William led the Blackwoods away, Arabella caught sight of Lord Yu's scoff. She sidled up to him, her voice low and teasing. "Don't fret, my lord. I assure you, Esinam's virtue is quite safe from the Viscount's charms."

Lord Yu stretched slightly, his long dark hair falling gracefully around his shoulders as his gaze drifted skyward. His features were set in a cool, relaxed expression as he stated, "There was never worry of anything otherwise."

Arabella laughed delightedly. "Oh, I do like you, Lord Yu. Now, about your room—"

"Dear cousin of mine!" Esinam's voice cut through the chatter. She approached, her coils of hair bounced slightly as she came to a stop before them. "Tell me you haven't put the Duke in the room on the same floor as mine."

Arabella blinked. "Haven't I? How careless of me. That one truly was a mistake, he must've requested it of the staff. She stated a moment, before she gave a soft smile. "Would you prefer I move him to the room on the other side?"

Esinam's eyes narrowed.  "Bella..."

"Oh, very well," Arabella sighed dramatically, tapping her chin with her fan. "I suppose I could put Lord Yu there instead. For fairness's sake, of course. I did give your aunt your room, didn't I?" She paused, her eyes twinkling. "My original idea was to have you two," she pointed to Esinam and Lord Yu with her fan, "share a room. But there's no engagement. How tragic."

Arabella's gaze lingered on Esinam, her tone becoming slightly more pointed. "Of course, if someone would just accept her feelings and settle down with a certain gentleman, we wouldn't have this problem, would we?"