The Dream Date

"You're not going to the dance?" I gave an upset groan.

"I never learned how to dance." Medusa explained. "I was cursed before I could ever get a chance to."

"Oh, Medusa, I was looking forward to going with you so we could silently judge all the couples." I stopped myself after saying that. "Oh, sorry."

Yeah, so, a bit of backstory here.

About two weeks after they started going out, Hercules and Medusa had decided it would be best for them to just remain friends. Not because of the whole gorgon thing, Medusa had come to terms with that, but because she didn't want Hercules to feel guilty about hurting her feelings the night she told him her secret. That was how they started dating to begin with. Hercules managed fine, a lot better than the last girlfriend he had -they only went out for like three days- and Medusa was a little sore about breaking things off, but I was there to offer her moral support whenever she needed it.

"It's okay, really." she assured me. "Hercules and I decided it'd be better if we just remained friends."

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Totally. Besides, my older sisters went through the same thing." Medusa said before correcting herself. "Except that one time my oldest sister, Stheno, accidentally turned her ex-girlfriend to stone after they broke up."

I paused awkwardly before speaking. "That's rough, buddy."

"It's okay though. She tends to her statue every day." Medusa then explained.

I gave a nod before checking the time on my phone. "Well, I wish I could keep chatting, but I'm gonna be late for school."

"You told the principal why I'm no longer going there, right?" Medusa asked me.

"You'd be surprised that he believed me when I said that you transferred to a small school on Sarpedon." I winked as I put on my satchel.

"I'll talk to you later!" Medusa gave me one last smile and a quick wave.

"Bye!" I said.

And with the slightest touch on my end of the water from my bathroom sink, our Iris Message -or I-Message as I like to call it- ended. Yeah, so, a little after Medusa's little story, she decided to quit the Underworld and move back with her older sisters in Sarpedon. We still wanted to keep contact with each other, so we used I-Message, which was named after Iris, goddess of the rainbow and messenger for Hera.

But why bother you with the boring details about how we found out we could chat through water and rainbows when you're here to read about how my dear friend Hercules got into more teen shenanigans and how I got dragged into them on this fine Thursday morning? Let's get to it, shall we?

Later

"No, I don't have a date yet." Hercules told us. "Is that a problem?"

"Herc, this dance will forever seal your place in the social order of the cosmos!" Icarus dramatically stated.

Okay, so, more backstory.

You know how every school has a dorky sweetheart dance? Even when it's nowhere near Valentine's Day? Well, they have something like that here, too. They call it the Aphrodesia Dance and they dedicate it to -well- Aphrodite in hopes that she would bless all the young couples who partake in her whole love shtick. Think of it like a Sadie Hawkins dance. And while I could care less about attending, apparently for guys it's what defines your high school career.

So, imagine my surprise when I got to school and the hot topic that was grazing among the entire student body was this dance a few days ago. I don't mean that as sarcasm either. I genuinely did not know that they had school dances here, so finding out they had something like that here was very surprising. I can be serious and unsarcastic when it comes to high school stuff, I just don't show it a lot. School dances are one of those things.