• Part Thirty Five •

Y/n leaned over her dresser, looking closely in the mirror as she fixed her hair

The day where Y/n would be crowned queen, was only a few days away. Until then, she had the time to do whatever she liked.

And today, she promised to spend time with Sunghoon. Just the two of them.

It's been so long since just the two hung out together alone. Sunghoon was still her best friend, along with Yeonjun now.

A few days ago, when Sunghoon killed the witch, she felt less safe to be in the forest, even though the witch was dead was gone. She didn't go to the forest without Sunghoon or Yeonjun. People whom she trusted.

She found out a ton since she found out the witch was her aunt.. Like the truth about her mother and the fox people.

Y/n twirled her gold necklace around in her fingers, admiring the fox charm.

The poor fox people and their families... Poor Yeonjun..

She leaned out of the window, letting the wind blow through her hair.

She spotted Yeonjun far off outside, playing tag with a bunch of children from the village. A smile crept on her lips. Seeing him run around and laughing with small children, was such a sweet sight.

After he was tagged, he eventually shifted into fox form, and the little girls started braiding his fluffy fur, and tied ribbons in his fur.

The children become really fond of Yeonjun in the past few days. They especially loved to see his fox form.

Yeonjun, in fox form, caught Y/n watching him from the castle window, a few stories high.

She waved and chuckled, and he barked in response. His barks cute like a puppy's.

Then, she heard knocking on her door. She turned around and opened it. It was Sunghoon.

"Y/n.. Shall we go to the library?" He asked, sheepishly itching the back of his neck.

"Sound good to me." She smiled, and the two headed to the large library in the castle. Which was only down the hall.

The bookshelves were very tall, and there were many books. Possibly every book ever written.

Y/n hadn't read in a long time. She remembered reading in the library with Sunghoon.

"It's been a while since we hung out like this." Y/n smiled and looked up at Sunghoon. "It's good to spend time with you again."

Sunghoon smiled and looked back down at her. His ears turning red.

"It is, isn't it? It's been.. a year at least since we spent the day in the library."

Y/n looked around and then nodded. "That's right.. it's been way too long."

Y/n walked to a shelf and stood on her tippy toes, reaching for a book Sunghoon and her used to love reading.

She couldn't reach... She tried leaping but then stopped and crossed her arms. "Dang it!"

Sunghoon chuckled. Amused by her attempt to reach the top shelf. He walked over and picked up the book from the top shelf, without a struggle.

"Don't be mad, shorty. That won't make the shelves any shorter." He teased and handed the book to her.

"Shorty?! I'm not short! I'm average... You're just really tall" she took the book from Sunghoon in a playfully harsh manner.

"Eh-" he shrugged, pretending to think about it. "True, I guess."

Y/n rolled her eyes and then began reading the book.

Sunghoon watched her as she did so. Butterflies filling his stomach as he took in every feature of her lovely face.

"Y/n..." He interrupted her reading.

She looked up at him. "Yes?"

He took a deep breath, preparing himself for what he was about to tell her.

"I'm leaving..." He didn't hesitate. Hesitation would only make things harder.

Y/n was takenaback. "W- what?"

"I'm leaving this place.." he smiled weakly. "But don't you be too sad. You have Yeonjun.."

"Why? Why are you leaving?" Her voice was displaying her sadness at the news.

Yeonjun and Sunghoon are gonna leave? So if Sunghoon leaves, he cannot be king and I cannot go with Yeonjun..

"Because..." He sighed and adjusted his position. "I need to move on.. I want you to be happy but I don't want to be here when you... When you realize your feelings for Yeonjun.. It'll hurt too much."

Y/n's eyes widened. "My f- feelings?"

Sunghoon nodded. "He's your soulmate after all. You will fall for him and nothing can stop you. So, I must go. I'm happy for you. I truly am... But please understand that I can't stay here and see the woman I love, loving someone else. Nothing hurts more... I could stay, but that would crush me.. Hard. And you wouldn't even know it."

Y/n looked down and shook her head. She had never thought about loving Yeonjun. And she never thought of Sunghoon anything more than a brother-like friend.

She looked back up at Sunghoon. "I... I don't know what to say.."

"Don't say anything." He smiled. Trying to keep his emotions in control. "Just be happy. You're the prettiest when you smile, you know.."

Y/n frowned. And Sunghoon knew he couldn't compete with Yeonjun. He was hurt, but ready to move on and see where life takes him.

Sunghoon placed his hand on Y/n's shoulder for a moment, and smiled before leaving her alone in the library. Her mind and emotions took control after that.

Do I like Yeonjun? It's like I couldn't deny that Yeonjun is my soulmate and that I would end up with him.. But now I'm going to lose my best friend?

***

Yeonjun noticed Y/n walking around in the gardens.

But sometimes seemed different... She seemed sad.

Yeonjun shifted into his adorable fox form and ran over to her.

He brushed his fur up against her skirt. Like a cat does.

Y/n looked down and smiled. The sadness still showing in her eyes.

"Yeonjun... I cannot come with you... Sunghoon has left.."

Yeonjun felt a pang of excitement and disappointment. He shifted back into human and looked at her in the eyes.

"What? You actually wanted to come?" He asked, his voice showing a hint of excitement.