Chapter 13:Devious Plan

Third Person's POV

As Chaeyoung drove home, she replayed her father's words in her mind, feeling the rare warmth of his approval.

"This must be my karma for setting you up with people you didn't love," her father had said, chuckling despite the gravity of his condition. "I'm an old geezer and have cancer stage 4 for heaven's sake, Chaeyoung. I know you'll do just fine because leaving you behind is the greatest prize I could win."

For the first time, Chaeyoung saw the pride in his eyes, and a single tear escaped her, marking the significance of the moment.

How am I supposed to live like this, Dad?

As Chaeyoung reached her mansion, she spotted Lisa standing anxiously in front of the door, clearly anticipating her arrival.

"Hey, Lis," Chaeyoung greeted her plainly.

Without a word, Lisa enveloped Chaeyoung in a tight hug, offering silent support for her struggling friend.

"Tell me everything, Chae," Lisa insisted, her voice full of concern.

Chaeyoung's POV

I poured everything out to Lisa, explaining Jennie's schemes. It was clear that Jennie was either blackmailing me, seeking revenge, or possibly both.

"This is hard, Lisa. I'm struggling with both situations. If I accept her offer about Park Spectra and Kim Innovations, there's a possibility that Kim Innovations could take over all the shares of Park Spectra, leading to her ultimate plan."

Lisa listened intently, her brow furrowed in concern. "Chae, what exactly did she propose?"

I sighed, feeling the weight of the decision pressing down on me. "Jennie wants to merge Park Spectra with Kim Innovations. On the surface, it looks like a partnership, but I know her well enough to realize that it's just a way for her to gain control."

Lisa's eyes widened. "And if you refuse?"

"If I refuse, she might go public with the information she's using to blackmail me. It could ruin everything I've worked for, Lisa."

Lisa's grip on my hand tightened. "We'll figure this out together, Chae. You're not alone in this."

Her words brought a small measure of comfort, but the looming threat of Jennie's manipulation still hung over me like a dark cloud. As we sat together, I knew that the days ahead would be filled with difficult decisions and strategic moves. But with Lisa by my side, I felt a glimmer of hope that we could navigate this treacherous path together.

With Chaeyoung's smart moves, she carefully thought about the possibilities of what would happen, creating a tight spot for her dad's company and her manipulative ex-girlfriend.

For heaven's sake, what am I supposed to do?

15 Years Ago...

"Chaeyoung, come here to Dada and see what you can see," Mr. Park said strictly, instilling discipline in his child at a young age to prepare her for the time when she would take over.

"Y-you're cornered by Sparks Industry, Father," Little Chaeyoung said, her voice trembling with the weight of the observation.

"And why is that?" Mr. Park asked, his intent gaze fixed on her, anticipating the analysis of his heir to fully understand the business world.

"B-because they have higher stockholders than ours?" Chaeyoung replied lowly, unsure of her answer.

"SPEAK UP, CHILD!" Mr. Park's voice boomed, startling Chaeyoung and prompting her to answer with more confidence.

"Because Sparks Industry has higher stockholders than us, Father!" Chaeyoung said, her voice shaking but louder.

"Good," Mr. Park said, satisfied with her understanding.

"Now, daughter, I will show you how we could get rid of their schemes and turn the situation over. Remember that every corner has its weakness, whether it's cracked or underestimated, and how we can turn the situation over. You must remember that, Park Chaeyoung," Mr. Park said seriously.

Mr. Park then showed Chaeyoung a voice recorder of a business meeting between him and the CEO of Sparks Industry, discussing products. He modified their products to be more extravagant than Sparks Industry's, using the advantage to promote their own products more effectively, outshining their competitor and demonstrating that everything can change with the right strategy.

Present...

Haaaaaa, why did that memory pop out of nowhere? Right, thanks, pops.

Drawing strength from the memory, Chaeyoung's resolve hardened. She would find the cracks in Jennie's plan and turn the situation around, just as her father had taught her.

Lisa's phone suddenly rang, interrupting Chaeyoung's thoughts. Lisa immediately answered because it was Jungkook.

"Jungkook, what's going on?" Lisa asked, her voice tense.

"Lisa, I overheard something at the bar tonight," Jungkook said hurriedly. "Kim Taehyung's brother was there, and I heard everything about Kim's plan. You need to put me on speaker so Chaeyoung can hear this."

Lisa's eyes widened as she put the phone on loudspeaker. "Chae, listen to this."

"Chae? Listen, they've been anticipating for you to accept their offer to take over your company and bring you down. I heard everything at the bar because Taehyung's brother was there."

As expected, Chaeyoung thought, a bitter smile forming on her lips. "Thank you, Jungkook, but I've already figured that out. The only thing I have to do is to make a plan for the next step. And Kook, can I ask you a favor?" she said, waiting for him to answer.

"What is it, Chae?" Jungkook asked, curiosity piqued.

"I need you to be my ears with the Kims, given your connection with Kim Taehyung," she proposed, her voice steady.

There was a pause on the other end as Jungkook processed the favor. "You got it, Chae," he finally said, accepting her request.

"But there is a condition," he added.

"I'll gladly listen to your condition," Chaeyoung said, determined to win this war.

After Jungkook outlined his conditions, Chaeyoung accepted them and began formulating her next plan.

"Thank you for the information, Jungkook," Chaeyoung said genuinely.

"No problem, Chae. We've always got your back," he replied comfortingly.

Hanging up, Chaeyoung felt a renewed sense of determination. She knew the road ahead would be tough, but with friends like Lisa and Jungkook by her side, she was ready to take on any challenge.

"Now that I've somehow assembled something, I'll probably go to sleep and get things done in the morning, Lisa," I said, feeling the exhaustion of the day's events.

"Hmhmm, right, Chae. At least we've made something from this crisis we're going through," Lisa replied.

 I stood up and smiled at Lisa. "Thanks, Lis. Goodnight," I said plainly.

"Goodnight, Chaeyoung-ah," Lisa said, her eyes filled with warmth and concern.

As I lay in bed, thoughts of the plan and my next move raced through my mind. I knew Jennie would be relentless in her efforts to bring me down.

Bring it on, Kim Jennie.