Chapter Twenty Two

"Don't I get one phone call?" I asked as we walked into the police station.

"Uh... Yeah I guess," Frank replied, "but you've never asked for one before."

I shrugged. "It never came up." I dialed Daxton's cell phone number and waited for him to answer.

"Hello?"

"DAX. It's Sky. Code red. I repeat. Code. Re- HEY!" I looked over to Almond, who had the phone in his hands. "I was using that."

"Yeah. To escape. What exactly does 'code red' mean exactly?"

I went into my cell in the center as he locked me in and sat against the bed. "You'll see."

~*~

Two hours have passed since I've gotten arrested. It's about 8pm Thursday night. The cops are still on edge from thinking that I'm gonna try to break out. Swankey and Jonesie have decided to take the rest of the day off.

When 8:30 rolled around, a bag of McDonald's dropped through my window into my cell. I dug in and began eating the nuggets hungrily. Prison food either sucks or it's non-existent.

Almond stood up from his chair. "That's it?! That was code red? You were just hungry??"

Dave decided to speak up too. "Seriously, Sky? We've been on edge for two and a half hours over some chicken nuggets?"

I nodded, my face looking like that of a chipmunk. Little did they know that that was only the first part of code red. That was just the alibi. I knew that they would hear me say code red, so we needed something as a fake code red. Food seemed like the best option.

Suddenly, my accomplices burst through the front door wearing ski masks. Daxton brought his fireworks with him so he threw those behind the main desk. He's quite the pyro. The fireworks began popping and shooting everywhere while he lit more. Lucus came straight to my cell and began to try to pick the lock. I grew impatient when he continued to fail. For how much black he wears, you'd think he'd have done this before.

"Oh just give me the pin already!" He gave it to me and I picked the lock myself. Fidel, Thunder, and Chris began trying to tie up the cops (excluding Jones and Carl since they were at home), while Lucus handed me one of his rolls of duck tape. It was hot pink. I pointed to Dave and Lucus went over to grab his arms. He lifted him so he was standing on a chair and stopped him from struggling too much while I proceeded to duck tape him to the wall.

"Skylar...."

"I told you I would duck tape you to the wall one day, Davey. I was hoping for the ceiling, but the wall is good enough."

He sighed. "Yeah, I know."

By the time I was done, the others had already finished tying up Almond and Frank, and Daxton was satisfied by the amount of fireworks he had gotten to play with. I calmly went to get my chicken nuggets and walked out eating them happily, with the three cops glaring at the back of my head.

~*~

That night, I woke up with a start. There was a girlish scream that echoed throughout the whole house and I only had one thought: protect Laleh: the woman who brought me into her house without any hesitation. I shot up out of bed and grabbed the metal baseball bat that I had stolen months before and snuck quietly out the door.

As I entered the hallway, I noticed a couple of my siblings coming out of their rooms as well, but I was the only one with a weapon. "Dax, get the little ones back to bed and then stay in your room. Anyone older than me, follow me."

I started slowly walking down the stairs with the baseball bat raised above my head, but I didn't hear anyone following. I looked back and saw that no one had moved. "What?"