Chapter Six

As I slowly came to my senses, I realized I was lying on a living thing. I kept my eyes closed and my breathing shallow, as I tried to remember where I had fallen asleep. Then, the voices of Lucus, Fidel, and Chris sounded through the room and I remembered. I fell asleep on Lucus.

"No. Not possible," Chris said, "I like JUST found Cynthia a month ago. You're five years younger than me, Luke! There's no way you already found your soulmate!"

Woah. Did he say soulmate? Aw man! Lucus has a soulmate? Does that mean I should stay away from him? I don't wanna steal someone's guy... I mean, I do like him and all, but still. Wait. Did Chris mean soulmate as in "destined for each other?" Or did he mean strong attraction? It is because they're warlocks? I wonder if vampires and werewolves exist!

I tried not to move as I heard Lucus speak. "I'm not even sure yet. I mean, how would I know?"

"Dude, you've never had a friend before. All of a sudden, you come back from jail unable to stop talking about her? It's obvious!" Fidel exclaimed. Hey! I go to jail too!

"Shhh! You'll wake her!" Lucus whisper-yelled.

"He's right, man. Do you feel sparks when you touch her?" Chris interjected.

Suddenly, I felt Lucus rest his hand against my cheek and start moving his thumb in small circles. Why is he touching me? "I'm feeling them right now," he said. Hey, I feel sparks too, buddy. My nerves are about to have a stroke from tingling so much.

"Ooh! Big bad Lucus has gone all mushy!" Fidel teased.

I heard a smack and then a mumbled 'ow' from Fidel. "Shut up. You'll know what we're talking about as soon as you find your soulmate," Chris said. "I'm gonna go turn in for the night. You'd better too."

I heard some shuffling and assumed that Chris and Fidel had gone upstairs. Lucus' hand moved from my cheek to my hair, and began running his fingers through it. I almost sighed in contentment it felt so good. That's the last thing I remember before I drifted off into a blissful sleep once more.

~*~

I woke up feeling way more comfortable than I normally did.

That's weird. This doesn't feel like the jail bed... Or the one at home... Where the hell was I?

Then all my memories came back to me. From my parents dying, to moving in with Lucus, to falling asleep in his arms.

Hey! My life is getting pretty good. Like they always say, it's gotta get bad before it gets better.

I don't see how that sentence makes any sense, but I do see how it's true.

I heard the door open as I began to rub my eyes.

"Oh, good. You're awake," came Lucus' voice.

"What time is it?" I asked.

"Eleven thirty in the morning. Mom and Dad won't be back until tonight, and Fidel and Chris brought everyone ten and younger to daycare, cause they have more fun there. Dax and Nick are having an all day video gaming contest."

He set a plate of scrambled eggs on my lap, and handed me a glass of milk. I raised an eyebrow at him.

"What? I thought I'd show off my cooking skills."

I shrugged as I began to eat, having already drank all the milk.

"So, what do you have planned for today?" I asked.

"What do you mean?"

"Exactly what I said."

"Well, we don't have anything planned," Lucus replied.