2| My mom used to encourage it

It's been a few weeks since we've been in Beacon Hills. We've done a lot of shopping which I didn't mind. She let me pick out everything for my room which is actually huge. There was enough space for me to even put a loveseat. It's the room I've always wanted.

It's actually been nice. I haven't had much personal time like this with Kat. I've loved it. She's made me realize how important family is. She understands my pain and doesn't try to control it. I only had a few weeks to grieve my father's death before I was put into that dimensional prison.

The feelings are still raw. She hasn't brought him up. She's letting me take my time and I appreciate that. I'll be ready eventually, I just don't know when.

Kat's been going back and forth whether or not she wants to pull Erika from Charles' school. She knows she's in good hands while she's away. Charles treats her like the grandchild he never had.

It'll definitely be an adjustment if she does decide to do it. Erika is only eight. She's still a child.

"Natalia, come down here, please."

I get up from my bed and leave my room. I go down the stairs and a red haired girl stands in the doorway with a plate of cookies. I know who she is. I walk towards them. Kat smiles and lets her in.

"I saw you guys moved in across the street and figured I'd introduce myself." She smiles. "I'm Alina Martin."

"Kat Maximoff and.."

Kat looks at me. She's been pressuring me to be nicer. And I have no reason to be rude to Alina.

"Natalia Kent."

Alina smiles and sets the cookies down on the kitchen table.

"I live with my twin sister Lydia and our mom Natalie."

I glance at Kat. I force a smile. I look at Alina more and I can tell she's a mutant.

"What brings you to Beacon Hills?"

"Our mom is originally from here.." I say. "And she passed so we're here to start over."

"Who was your mom?" She asks. "My mom might know her."

She does. She should. They're sisters.

"I doubt it."

"Oh." She smiles. "Well.. I should get going."

Kat looks at me as Alina starts walking to the front door.

"If you're not busy I haven't really been shown around town."

She turns around with a big smile on her face. She's genuinely happy.

"I'm not busy!"

"Great.. I can drive."

I grab my keys from the bowl and we walk out together. She starts talking about Beacon Hills like it's a history lesson. We get into my car and she tells me where to go. She takes me first to a froyo place in downtown.

She's such a happy person. I envy her. I wish I could be like that. I can see a dark past behind her and even with that she's still so happy.

"Tell me about yourself."

She's spent all this time talking about her now it's my turn to talk. I almost choke on my froyo as she waits. I put the cup in my lap.

"Well.." I don't really know what to say. "I grew up in New York."

"Lucky! I've always wanted to visit."

"I went to a private school." Which isn't totally a lie. "My parents were always busy."

"That's just like my mom."

It grows silent between us. Her mom must be a sort of soft subject for her. Each time she brings her up her heart rate decreases. I know that feeling.

"Alina?"

We both look up as two boys walk towards us. She stands up and waves.

"Natalia, this is Scott and Stiles."

I stand up. Scott holds his hand out. I shake it and something clicks in his head. He's a werewolf and he can probably sense something off about me.

"I saw you at the station the other day." Stiles says. "Your sister just became a deputy. She was an X-Men."

Alina looks at me.

"Oh my gosh.. Maximoff that makes so much sense." She says. "Why didn't you say that?"

It's not like I'm hiding it. Kat showed her face as an X-Men for years. It's public knowledge.

"Maximoff?" Scott says. "Your mother was Wanda Maximoff?"

I throw the rest of my froyo in the garbage nearby.

"I should probably go home." I say. "It was nice-"

"Kent.."

Alina looks at me with soft eyes. She doesn't want to say what she's thinking. The world knew two of Earths greatest heroes had a two children. Twins. I'm one of them.

Right before my father died he revealed his identity to the world. They only knew him as Superman but Clark Kent and Superman soon became one. He wanted to show me that I don't need to hide. He wanted to prove a point.

"Oh, Natalia, I'm-"

"It's fine." I cut her off. "Please, don't feel sorry for me."

It clicks in Stiles and Scotts minds. Neither of them say anything. Now everything feels awkward. I was actually starting to like Alina. It's not like this is actually going to deter anything. I would've told her eventually. She's smart though, I should've known she'd figure it out anyway.

"I'm gonna go home."

I walk to my car, turning around to look at Alina. I drove her here, it's only right I bring her home too especially she lives right across the street.

"Coming?"

She runs to my car, getting into the passenger seat. I drive to my house in silence. I park in the driveway and look at her.

"I would've told you eventually.."

"For what it's worth.. I am sorry." She says. "Even though you've probably heard that a lot."

"It's fine."

"It doesn't need to be." She smiles. "I'm always here to talk."

"Thanks."

I've never really had friends. I mean I had the other Avengers kids to company me at school but they weren't really friends. They were kind of coworkers. The whole school knew we were being groomed to be the new Avengers.

"I'm a mutant."

"I know."

She looks at me with wide eyes only for a few seconds.

"I kind of inherited my parent's powers." I say. "I can sense it."

I think a large part of being able to sense it is because we're literally related. I just don't know what her powers are, only that she is a mutant.

She holds her hand up and the metal sign in front of our house levitates in the air. She closes her hand and it crumbles like a piece of paper. I slowly look at her and realize her powers are just like my grandfather and Kat's.

"Sorry.. sometimes I get carried away." She says. "My mom hates when I use my powers."

"My mom used to encourage it."

It just kind of slipped out of my mouth. In truth my mother loved teaching me to use my magic. I was the only one of her children to get magic. But then she realized how much I'm like her and that's when our dynamic started to change.

"I'm sure Kat needs help with.. something."

"Of course."

We both get out of my car. I watch her run across the street and into her house. I go inside and Kat's in the kitchen. She turns around with a big smile on her face.