an institution for relapsing

𝔱𝔯𝔦𝔤𝔤𝔢𝔯 𝔴𝔞𝔯𝔫𝔦𝔫𝔤𝔰 𝔩𝔦𝔰𝔱𝔢𝔡 𝔞𝔱 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔢𝔫𝔡 𝔬𝔣 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯

dream feels it like an itch in his wrist.

the urge.

the blond doesn't know why it bugs him like this. he genuinely likes it here at the institution, even now it's the new year and a lot of his friends have left and moved on to their own things.

he is still close with everyone who left and talks to them practically every day, especially jimmy and, through sapnap, punz.

anyway. that's irrelevant.

the point is, he likes it here. he has friends who are like family, teachers who listen and care, the rules are fair, the principal is kind and, if he ever did have a problem, he knows he could get it properly sorted just by talking about it to a member of staff.

they really do care here, and it shows.

which is why it makes no sense that dream sneaks out at a ridiculous hour in the morning to make his way through the woods, traversing over dried summer mud and feeling the heat of the rising sun seep through the branches above him. the walk into town feels ridiculously long when he does it alone since he is pretty sure he's only ever done the journey with corpse's company, but he makes it in the end.

and then, as if he was frustrated and depressed all over again, dream empties his pockets and uses all the money he's collated to buy the one thing that got him sent here in the first place.

even as he walks back, goods hidden safely in his backpack, he still doesn't know why he is doing this. he still has no reason for falling back into old habits as if it is acceptable. he likes it here.

maybe that thought is why he manages to put it off for so long.

he gave into the urge to purchase the methods, but that seemed to satiate him enough to put off the execution. that seemed to fulfil him enough not to go through with what he so badly craved - at least, for a while.

"why are you making this into an issue?" dream asks from the edge of their bed, which is actually just the two single beds pushed together in their small room. his hands squeeze around the soft sheets as frustration courses through him. george stays standing before him, the british boy looking equally annoyed. "neither of us wants the other to meet their parents, why is that a big deal?"

"because you can't meet my parents, dream, and you know that!" george speaks back, his voice raised. "they'll hardly be my parents anymore by the time i get out of this place. without custody, i only have to see them if i want to. you're making it out like there's something wrong with me, and that's why i can't meet yours!"

dream knows where george is coming from, because he has been so poor at explaining himself recently, and he knows that the way he has been wording his arguments have made it out like he is embarrassed by george, but that isn't the case. he doesn't want to introduce george to his family just for them to pretend he doesn't exist as soon as the brunette is gone, just like they do with every other factor in dream's life.