5

"I am still hoping that you will change your mind, Aer. I can't imagine Pita without you..."

Aer smiled.

Yre hid behind the nearest tree where Aer and one of the Elders are speaking. She should not be eavesdropping but she can't help it. May the Source forgive her pettiness.

"I am honored, brother. But I am destined to leave Pita and be with Yre. I can't imagine spending my remaining days without being with her. We are soulmates so it makes sense to belong and stay together..."

The Elder tapped Aer's shoulder.

"You deserve that kind of fulfillment, brother! I just hope that Edr is ready to take on your role. You know how we speculate that more Warriors will come here in the coming days. We are at the peak of the intense and darkest battles, the worst I've ever witnessed in the lifetimes I lived..."

Yre silently agreed with the Elder.

"Oh he is! I have faith that Edr is more than capable not just to lead Pita but to ensure that it will remain as the best healing sanctuary here in the Middle. This place and all of you will always be in my prayers, brother!"

The two did a brotherly hug and finally walked towards the pavilion hall that serves as their main headquarters here in Pita. Yre sighed and followed them silently.

—-----------------------------

Edr looks so confused but he still maintained his calm demeanor and composure. Yre wonder if Healers ever feel strong emotions such as anger. She realized that they are always so collected.

"Warrior Yre, Pita never received a request to migrate here. We are all born here, destined to be healers. Sure, we can leave at some point in our lives but we never had an emigrant here..."

Yre sighed and still tried to negotiate.

"Maybe you need someone as a guardian here? Or any other role that I can take on?"

Edr sighed as well.

"You don't want Aer to leave Pita for you, and with you, are you? You feel guilt."

Yre just bowed her head, her silence means agreement.

"Aer has been telling us that one day, he will leave Pita. He just knows that he will not die here, that his remains will not be buried here. The Elders tend to shrug that off but it is different for me. Aer made sure that he can leave one day, he prepared me to take on his role..."

Edr gave her an assuring smile.

"All of us are different, even for us Healers. But we know that Aer has this kind of special uniqueness among the rest. The moment you arrive here, he already knows that his unknown waiting is finally over, Yre. I honestly can't fathom how quickly Aer decided that he will have a different life with you but as I've said, Aer is special. I admire his courage and now I see what makes the two of you soulmates..."

"Courage?"

Edr nodded.

"Yes! Let courage strengthen your bond, Warrior. Every encounter with a soulmate is such a blessing, both of you are so lucky! Have faith as things are meant to work out well..."

Yre finally smiled, feeling enlightened and relieved.

"Such a timely reminder, thank you Edr! Pita is such a warm place, very different from Aseb. But yeah, I will have faith..."

"Maybe the both of you can bring much needed warmth in Aseb, you are one now after all. We will surely miss Aer here but in the name of service, we must let him go..."

Yre nodded.

"Thank you! Edr, can I ask you a favor?"

"Of course! What is it?"

—-----------------------------

"I hope that you are not thinking of pushing me off to a cliff, Milady. Because I doubt that I can survive that..."

Yre laughed as she guided the blindfolded Aer towards the center of the forest. It is well lit by the fire torches. She hopes that the radio will work!

Once settled, she finally stood in front of him.

"Remove the blindfold, Aer..."

He did and quickly gasped at her. Yre felt her face burn.

"A dress! You are wearing one!"

Aer was so shocked as if a comet hit him. Yre bit her lower lip.

"A Warrior in dress, huh? I knew that this was such a stupid idea..."

"Of course not! You are such a goddess, Yre. I mean, I have no words!"

Aer can't take his eyes off of her and before Yre melts, she snapped her finger and a sound filled the silence. Aer's eyes widened even more, Yre grinned.

"A slow dance perhaps, my soulmate?"

Yre said, moving closer to Aer. His eyes softened and he finally held her.

You're mine

and we belong together

yes, we belong together

for eternity

"I still have no words, Yre! This is just overwhelming..."

Yre smiled as they swayed slowly and gently, as if they had already danced for so many lifetimes but she is certain that this is their first. Her sense of familiarity with Aer is almost insane but she doesn't mind.

You're mine

your lips belong to me

yes, they belong to only me

for eternity

"Earthlings create such beautiful music, Aer. I used to describe the feeling of listening to it as closest to making love. This can pass as the best thing on Earth for me..."

Aer kissed her head. Yre closed her eyes, savoring the sound of a song once again after a long time.

"Closest thing to heaven. This moment with you Yre, this is how I feel..."

You're mine, my baby and you'll always be

I swear by everything I own

you'll always, always be mine

"It is, Aer..."

They savored the sound and words, Yre silently praying to keep this moment in her head and heart for a very long time. The Middle is vast, always full of doubts and uncertainty but this rare moment is all that matters for the two of them right now.

You're mine

and we belong together

yes, we belong together, for eternity

eternity, eternity.

"Mahal kita. Nemehotatse. I love you, Yre..."

"Ani ohev otach, Aer..."

Aer kissed Yre.

"For eternity..."

Yre smiled.

"For eternity..."