Capítulo 47

Huyan Xi didn’t care about the fate of those three heads. He had anticipated that the trick he had just pulled would work once or at most twice and no more. It was enough that he had succeeded in injuring the General of the North. But Xiao Jinyi saw Xiao Jinshu’s resolve and anguish.

He had lived in this world nearly four years. Though his sense of the passage of time was different here from the real world, he had indeed perceived four years of this world. For people here, an incomplete corpse meant that a person could not be peacefully laid to rest, and their soul would be shattered after death. An incomplete soul would drift eternally through the beyond, unable to enter the underworld, unable to reincarnate. The determination it had taken for Xiao Jinshu to give the order to destroy his brothers’ heads was something they were incapable of understanding as outsiders.

Huyan Xi didn’t care, but Xiao Jinyi did.

Huyan Xi’s abilities were on a par with his, but Huyan Xi’s injury had yet to heal. If Xiao Jinyi fought with all his strength, he could kill Huyan Xi. But he couldn’t use all his strength, because he had to take Huyan Xi alive and awaken the doctor. To others it appeared that he and Huyan Xi were fighting with equal desperation, but Xiao Jinyi knew that he was holding back.

He was a soldier, and coming here to awaken the doctor was his mission. Just as for the warriors here, an order was a fixed point to him. He had to protect the doctor. It was extremely likely now that Huyan Xi was the doctor, so he couldn’t kill Huyan Xi.

But his mission was causing him to injure the people here.

Yes, they were people.

Since falling in love with Shen Junrui, Xiao Jinyi had been unable to keep thinking of the people here as simple data, as ordinary NPCs. Just as the contract they had signed upon coming here said, this world’s “people” had their own thoughts and feelings. The system had perfected their personalities and their ideas to the greatest extent possible. They were so realistic.

Xiao Jinyi did not want to think of the man he loved as data. He would rather see Shen Junrui and all the people here as humans like himself.

This world had been created by the doctor, which made it even more impossible for him to injure a person who probably was the doctor. If something went wrong with the system, the one who could safeguard this world to the last was the doctor.

For all these reasons, he couldn’t harm Huyan Xi.

But as he saw those three bamboo poles lapped by the flames, Xiao Jinyi felt his heart ache. All these people, flesh and blood and spirit, had been created by the doctor; how could the doctor allow himself to become a callous person like Huyan Xi?

He hoped that Huyan Xi was not the doctor, but he couldn’t confirm it until he took Huyan Xi alive.

A sound came to Xiao Jinyi’s ear: the sound of the army arriving. Amid the firelight, he raised his saber high and cried out, “Xiao Jinshu, your reinforcements are here! Do not let them leave the city! Send everyone onto the walls to shoot! Shoot as many as you can, don’t worry about me!”

His voice was carried by his internal force. Xiao Jinshu and Emperor Jingren heard it, and the arriving army heard the General of the North’s voice as well.

However powerful Huyan Xi and Xiao Jinyi might be, they still couldn’t emerge unscathed amid a hail of arrows. This was a battle of near certain death, and Xiao Jinyi had decided to end it at any cost.

From the tower in the city walls, Emperor Jingren shouted, “Xiao Jinyi, don’t you dare!”

But without internal force, his voice couldn’t go far. It was drowned by the noise of the army mounting the wall. The only one who heard it was Xiao Jinshu, who was next to Emperor Jingren.