Friends With Benefits

Kartik and Nikita stumbled into the canteen, their laughter trailing behind them like a burst of sunshine on a cloudy day. It was the end of another long week at Mahatma Vidya University, and the familiar aroma of chai mixed with hot sizzling samosas greeted them like a warm hug.

"Man, I can't believe we survived that criminal law paper," Nikita groaned, flopping into her usual chair by the window. The canteen aunties nodded at them, recognizing the telltale signs of students in need of comfort food.

Kartik slid into the seat across from her, his paint-splattered backpack falling to the floor with a thud. "Tell me about it," he said, reaching for a samosa. "I don't know how you manage all that legal gibberish. I can barely keep up with art history."

Nikita laughed, her eyes sparkling with mischief. "That's because you're too busy sketching in your notebook instead of taking notes."

Kartik grinned, unashamed.

He leaned back in his chair, his eyes tracing the curve of Nikita's smile as she took a sip of her chai. "You know," he said, his voice low enough that only she could hear, "I think the canteen aunties are starting to recognize us as a pair. We're becoming a campus legend."

Nikita arched an eyebrow, a teasing glint in her eyes. "A pair, huh? I thought you were too busy with your art to get tied down."

Kartik shrugged, a slow smile spreading across his lips. "Who said anything about being tied down? I just enjoy spending time with you." He leaned forward slightly, his gaze locking with hers. "Unless you're afraid you can't keep up."

Nikita laughed softly, the sound like music in the bustling canteen. "Oh, I think I can handle you, Kartik. The real question is whether you can handle me."

Kartik chuckled, the sound deep and smooth. "Is that a challenge? Because I do love a good challenge."

Nikita set her cup down, resting her chin on her hand. "Maybe it is," she said, her eyes narrowing playfully. "But I wouldn't want you to get in over your head."

Kartik's eyes flickered with amusement. "Oh, I can handle a lot more than you think. Besides, you're the one who was flustered after three drinks the other weekend gathering and almost throwing up by six"

Nikita's cheeks flushed, but she maintained her composure. "Flustered? Please, I was just giving you a little break. Didn't want to overwhelm you with my charm."

Kartik leaned in, his voice barely a whisper. "I don't think you could overwhelm me, even if you tried," he said, his words laced with a subtle dare. "In fact, I think you're the one who's holding back."

Her eyes locked with his, the intensity between them growing. "And what if I am? What are you going to do about it?" she asked, her voice low and sultry.

His smile turned into a smirk. "Well, I could start by suggesting we leave this canteen and find a more... private place to continue this conversation...." he replied, his tone dripping with suggestion as he leaned closer and closer to her.
She raised her eyebrows as he continued "..and prep for the badminton match." and she exhaled .

"Oh god Niki what else could we be doing huh, what did you think in your intellectual brain?" he bit his lip almost laughing at her face

She huffed pulling her hair back into a bun rolling her eyes , her smile playful yet challenging. "Can you ever do me a favor and shut up, Kartik?" she asked as he stood up from his spot shaking his head as he walked away.
The air between them crackled with energy was what she thought for the rest of her lunch.

As the afternoon sun dipped lower, their friends began to trickle in. the boys getting the drinks and the girls bringing in the games and the snacks.

The atmosphere buzzed with energy as they laughed, shared stories, and made plans for the weekend. Someone suggested a road trip to Goa, and the idea caught fire. Kartik and Nikita exchanged excited glances.

It was moments like these that made university life unforgettable—the simple pleasures, the shared experiences, and the bonds that held them together. And as the night grew darker, they knew that the best was yet to come. The crew had to gather at the dorm after a match of badminton for a gathering to smoke and drink. Which was a weekly routine for the group.

"Show them hell baby" Kartik yelled as the girls won the game with a fairly good score.
Laughing and hugging Nikita tighter than other girls even though he lost.

The hostel was alive with energy, the post-badminton game celebration still in full swing. The common room was crowded with their friends, their laughter blending with the music blaring from someone's Bluetooth speaker. Kartik stood by the window, holding a beer, his eyes scanning the room until he found Nikita. She was talking with her friends, but even in the chaos, her gaze occasionally flicked to him, a hint of a smirk playing on her lips.

Kartik watched her, the buzz of the evening mixing with the familiar tension that had been simmering between them for weeks. The badminton game had been intense, with both of them giving it their all.

Nikita caught his eye and raised her glass in a subtle toast, her smile widening as he mirrored the gesture. He gave her a wink, a playful acknowledgment of the game they'd been playing—not just on the court, but in every glance and touch. It was a play, a complicated game of give and take that neither of them wanted to end.

The night grew late, and the crowd in the common room thinned. Kartik felt the air around him cool as the open windows let in a gentle breeze, the scent of marijuana lingering from earlier. He took a slow drag from his cigarette, watching as Nikita made her way across the room, her eyes locked on his.

"Taking a break?" she asked, her voice low enough to be heard over the music but intimate enough to suggest she might just  wasn't talking about the party.

Kartik nodded, his gaze steady. "Yeah, I need some fresh air," he replied, stubbing out his cigarette. "You want to join me?"

Nikita hesitated for a moment, glancing back at the remaining party-goers. Then she smiled, a slow, almost teasing smile. "I think I can sneak away for a bit," she said, her eyes meeting his with a mischievous glint.

They slipped out of the common room, leaving behind the noise and chaos of the gathering. The corridor was quiet, dimly lit by a single flickering light. Kartik took her hand. It was a simple gesture, but it felt like crossing a line—an unspoken confession that something was shifting between them.

Neither of them spoke, their footsteps echoing softly in the empty hallway. Kartik glanced at Nikita, her expression unreadable but her grip on his hand firm. The air around them felt charged, as if the entire building could sense the tension.

Kartik's room was at the end of the hall, tucked away from the rest of the hostel. He opened the door, letting Nikita step in first. The room was small and cluttered with art supplies, but it was his security—a place where he could escape from the world. Nikita looked around, her eyes taking in the sketches and paintings that lined the walls.

"It's... cozy," she said, her voice laced with amusement.

Kartik shrugged, closing the door behind him. "It's not much, but it works," he replied, his tone casual despite the racing of his heart.

They stood there for a moment, the silence stretching between them. Kartik moved closer, his hand resting on her waist. Nikita's breath hitched, the proximity sending a shiver down her spine. It was like standing on the edge of something wide and unknown, knowing that one step forward could change everything.

Kartik leaned in, his lips brushing lightly against hers. Nikita took a step back, sucking a deep breath. Kartik walked to her. She walked back till the back of her legs felt the edge of the bed.
She gasped and he took the time to press his lips to her. The kiss was tentative at first, testing the waters, but it quickly grew deeper, more passionate. The tension between them exploded, the weeks of flirting and teasing finally finding release.

As the kiss intensified, Kartik pulled her closer, his hands exploring the curves of her waist and back. She responded with equal force, her fingers tangling in his hair. It was a moment of raw emotion, a pinnacle of all the unspoken feelings that had been building between them.

When they finally pulled apart, both breathing heavily, Kartik met her gaze. "You sure about this?" he asked, his voice low.

Nikita nodded, her eyes filled with a mix of excitement and uncertainty. "Yeah," she said, her voice barely a whisper. "Let's see where this goes."

With that, they stepped into the unknown, leaving behind the familiar territory of friendship and embracing the possibility of something more. The night was theirs, and they were ready to explore it together.

She allowed him to lay her into the bed, parting for a moment so she could move upwards, laying her head on the pillows. Shortly enough he joined her , placing his elbows on both sides of her head, not wasting any time before closing the space between their mouths again.
When she finally pulled back, she could see his red, puffy lips even with the limited amount of lighting in the room.