Jelaousy

Utkarsh and Esha were enjoying a peaceful afternoon in their cozy living room, surrounded by mementos of their shared life. Their laughter filled the space as they recounted a recent trip, basking in the warmth of each other's company. The sudden knock on the door interrupted their light-hearted banter, and Utkarsh, expecting a delivery, went to answer it. To his surprise, standing confidently at the threshold was Sahil, Esha's ex from high school.

Esha, pleasantly taken aback, welcomed Sahil with a warm hug, inviting him inside

"Been a while huh" he smiled tilting his face looking down at her
"Way too long," she admits. She and Sahil had split up long before she had met Utkarsh , on seemingly good terms. They had been friends before, and then decided to take their friendship to another level–only to realize they were much better off as friends. "How's you and the girlfriend?"

Sahil licks his lips slowly, "Broken up. How about–"

"I'm her boyfriend," Utkarsh suddenly appears at her side, as if to prove his statement, he brings a hand up and angles her jaw so that he can kiss her.

"Oh uhm hello" he laughed, nodding as she shuffled so he could walk in. Glaring at Utkarsh she shook her head telling him not to start anything with Sahil.

As they settled into conversation, Sahil and Esha effortlessly fell into reminiscing about old times, their easy familiarity evident in their shared laughter and inside jokes. Utkarsh watched from his seat, his smile strained as he struggled to mask the pang of jealousy that gnawed at him. The memories they shared, the way they finished each other's thoughts, left him feeling like an outsider in his own home.

Sensing Utkarsh's discomfort, Esha reached over and touched his knee reassuringly. Her touch was warm, but the subtle spark of her fingers on his skin only heightened his awareness of her. "Utkarsh, remember that time in Goa when we got lost trying to find the beach?" she said, trying to include him.

Utkarsh forced a smile, nodding. "Yeah, we ended up finding that amazing little café instead."

Sahil chuckled. "That sounds like quite an adventure. Esha and I used to get lost all the time back in school, didn't we?"

Esha laughed, her eyes twinkling with nostalgia. "Oh, absolutely. We were masters at losing track of time and direction."

Utkarsh's forced smile tightened, a flicker of irritation sparking within him. He couldn't help but notice the way Sahil's eyes lingered on Esha, as if reminiscing more than just old times. "So, Sahil, what brings you back to town?"

Sahil leaned back, looking relaxed and at ease. "I got a job at a tech firm downtown. It's been really exciting so far. I thought I'd catch up with some old friends now that I'm settled."

"That's great," Utkarsh replied, his voice polite but edged with tension. "It's always nice to reconnect."

As the conversation continued, Esha tried to bridge the gap between the past and present, but the tension in the room remained palpable. Sahil's occasional glances at Esha, the subtle shifts in his body language, and the way Esha responded with a slight, almost unconscious intimacy, made Utkarsh's jealousy flare. He found himself sitting closer to Esha, his hand resting possessively on her thigh, as if to mark his territory.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, Sahil stood up to leave. "It was great seeing you both," he said warmly. "Let's definitely catch up again sometime."

"Absolutely," Esha replied with a smile. "Take care, Sahil."

Utkarsh walked Sahil to the door and closed it behind him, letting out a sigh of relief.

He rolls his eyes as he leaves and once he's out of the door, she shoves him and hissed, "Utkarsh, what was that shit you pulled?" His eyes immediately relax and he tries to pull her towards him. She wasn't having any of it, though. "That's the Sahil that I've been talking about! You said you wanted to meet him and now that you have–"

He mumbles out, "You say that like I don't get insanely jealous whenever you talk about him."
She furrowed her eyebrows, "What?"

He leans back against a wall and crosses his arms. He shrugs.