Long Distance Love

Tarun was in the middle of a group project meeting when his phone buzzed in his pocket. The conference room was filled with chatter about deadlines and coding issues, but he couldn't resist checking who'd messaged him. Seeing Tulika's name, he discreetly slid his phone under the table and glanced at the screen.

"I miss you ugh."

He smiled to himself and quickly typed a reply. "Miss you too. What's wrong?"

The meeting continued around him as he waited for her response. He half-listened as his teammates discussed the latest bug in their code, but his thoughts were elsewhere. It had been a tough week, with back-to-back assignments and late nights at the library. He was looking forward to the weekend, but seeing Tulika's message made him wish he could just teleport to Mumbai.

His phone buzzed again. "Just tired of assignments. And I miss having you around, you know? Everything's so serious here."

Tarun understood. The engineering program at his college was intense, but he knew the art scene in Mumbai could be just as demanding. He glanced around to make sure his teammates weren't watching, then sent another quick message.

"I get it. Let's find some time tonight and I'll text you back around that time?"

Tulika replied almost immediately. "Yes! Let's do that. What time are you free?"

"Let's say 9? My roommates usually go out around then."

"Perfect. I'll bring my list of new memes. Gotta keep you updated."

Tarun chuckled at the thought. Tulika had a knack for finding the funniest memes and sending them his way when he least expected it. It was one of the many things he loved about her—the way she could brighten even the most stressful day with a single message.

The group meeting ended, and Tarun packed up his things. As he left the conference room, he felt a sense of relief knowing he'd get to talk to Tulika tonight. It wasn't the same as being together in person, but it was enough to keep them connected, to bridge the distance between Mumbai and Bangalore. He couldn't wait to hear her voice and share a few laughs.

Tarun rushed back to his dorm room after dinner, weaving through the crowd of students in the corridor. His roommates had already gone out for the night, as expected, so he had the space to himself. The door swung shut behind him, and he threw his bag onto the floor before collapsing onto his bed.

Tulika: Hey, stranger. Anything exciting happen today?

Tarun: You mean besides counting down the hours until I could text you? 😜 Nothing much. Just the usual grind. How about you?

Tulika: Oh, you know, same old. Although, I did have this sudden craving for chocolate cake. I blame you.

Tarun: Me? How do I take the blame for that?

Tulika: You know what they say about sweet things. Can't stop thinking about them once you've had a taste. 😉

Tarun: Are you calling me sweet? Because I thought I was more of a "mysterious and brooding" kind of guy.

Tarun laughed. The warmth of her words seeped through the screen, making him feel a little closer to her, despite the miles that separated them.

Tulika: Hey, Tarun. Guess what? I was just thinking about you.

Tarun: Oh, really? What kind of thoughts are we talking about? 

Tulika: The kind that makes me wish I could teleport.

Tarun: I hear you. If you could teleport, where would you end up?

Tulika: Easy—right next to you. So, what would we do if I just appeared out of nowhere?