Only Just Begun

Jerry felt lost at that moment... a true fish out of water. It was his first time in London. And London was not Brooklyn. At that moment, he found himself at Heathrow Airport... probably one of the busiest and most used in the world. He needed to catch transportation to Stepney Green, the neighborhood where his British friend, Daniel Hemsworth, lived. Since navigation wasn't his greatest attribute, he decided to download the London Underground map. According to the instructions given by his friends, he had to take the Piccadilly Line and get off at Gloucester Road Station... which was only 38 minutes from the airport! At this same station, he would have to take the District Line and get off, 27 minutes later, at Stepney Green Station. In conclusion, he now faced almost an hour of travel by metro to reach his destination.

He was carrying two huge trolleys of clothes because he wasn't willing to blow his budget on this vacation. Besides clothes, he also brought his "Nike" sneakers and sophisticated shoes for any eventuality. He suffered from a huge problem... he couldn't easily find shoes that fit the size of his feet. So, he opted to wear his comfortable sneakers. He didn't want to leave any luggage behind. He didn't bring books to read... the only things he brought, besides clothes, were personal hygiene products and his laptop. And since he knew it would be a long vacation... everything was okay.

He wasn't used to traveling alone and he wanted to try something different with this trip. As the metro started moving slowly through the station, he realized he was lucky to have enough money to travel and spend his vacation in London with his friend. Now all he had to do was have fun.

"You can do this, Jerry," he murmured to himself, half resigned to the situation. His friend wasn't rich, so he didn't have a car to pick him up at the airport. To be able to live near the city center of London, he had to give up such a luxury. Jerry entered one of the carriages and sat in one of the seats. He looked around as people filled the carriages, making room for themselves and their luggage, restricting any movement by the passengers. Jerry was stuck in the corner by the window. Next to him were two young people, engrossed in playing on their phones. Jerry watched them for 5 minutes, trying to figure out what game they were playing... he was curious but didn't want to interrupt them. He decided to focus his attention on reading a bit about the history of the neighborhood where Daniel lived.

Stepney Green was a small district located in the East End of London, within the London Borough of Tower Hamlets

Stepney Green was a small district located in the East End of London, within the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. However, for much of its history, the name referred to a much larger manor and parish. Stepney Green remained from a larger area of Common Land, previously known as Mile End Green. The area was rapidly built up in the 19th century, mainly to accommodate immigrant workers and the displaced poor of London, and it developed a reputation for poverty, overcrowding, violence, and political dissent. It was severely damaged during the Blitz, with more than a third of the housing completely destroyed. In the 1960s, slum clearance and development replaced most of the residential streets with tower blocks and modern housing estates. Some Georgian architecture and Victorian-era terraced houses survive in patches: for example, Arbor Square, the east side of Stepney Green, and the streets around Matlock Street.