Chapter Nine

After the shooting incident Katlyn drops off the radar to everyone for a couple days except Nathan who spent the night with her letting her spend the night at his place, his mother more than happy to have her over. As much as he wanted to know what happened Nathan never asked, and he didn't mention anything to his mom about the blood on her hands when she arrived. The next morning Katlyn had returned home and spent the last few days going over everything that's played out, thinking about the things she's seen from both the military and the Resistance. She weighs the risks, the cons, and the fact her life will be in consistent danger regardless of the decision she makes.

She decides to make a visit to the Safehouse, and discuss it with the others there. She crosses the Zone border and makes her way to the Safehouse. She knocks on the door, a female Fighter with black hair, brown eyes, and light skin opens it with her hand on her pistol. She's seen this same woman before.

"I'm looking for Clara or Serena, are they here?" Katlyn asks.

"No, they're in New Town right now. Would you like to come in, and I'll contact them for you?" The woman asks with a polite tone.

Katlyn nods her head, thanking her and enters the apartment and is quickly greeted by the others who she's familiar with. The woman steps aside after closing the door to try and get ahold of either of the other two while Katlyn sits down on a ratty couch near a chair where one of the other male Fighters with Blonde-ish short hair, and dark brown eyes is sitting smoking a cigarette.

"You smoke?" He asks, a cigarette sat on lips offering her one. He says no, and kindly declines.

A semi awkward silence quickly fills the space as the Fighters and Katlyn try to figure out what to do around each other.

"So... this is what you guys do all day? Just sit in this apartment?" She asks, awkwardly trying to break the silence.

The Fighter takes a hit of his cigarette before answering, putting out the cigarette.

"Nah, not always. Sometimes we get to interrogate prisoners. That's far more entertaining." He says, looking directly at her with a serious look.

Katlyn's eyes widen slightly, she gets nervous and looks around at the others who have the same serious stares, making her even more nervous.

They interrogate people here? Seriously?!

She looks back at him for a moment, a grin sprouts slightly, then turns into a laughing smile as the others begin to laugh as well.

"HAHA! AH I really had ya going there eh? I'm just fucking with you girl, don't worry." He says, still laughing.

"We don't interrogate people here. What you see is basically the highlight of what we do in this shithole all day. We keep the place safe, and watch enemy movements in the area." The female Fighter explains with a grin, obviously amused by the look on Katlyn's face.

Well, these guys are assholes for that one. But at least they have a sense of humour.

The Fighter who initiated the joke puts his hand out to Katlyn,

"Nells, John." He says introducing himself.

Katlyn meets his gesture shaking his hand, introducing herself in return. John introduces the others: The other male Fighter with black hair and dark green eyes is Kelly, and the woman is Maya. The four start talking about different topics: their lives, interests, life inside the zones and what brought them to the Resistance. Maya's story catches Katlyn's attention,

"I grew up here in this neighbourhood actually. My mom she uh... she was the best. She worked two jobs just to make ends meet but she was so positive. Always smiling. She taught me even if you don't have a lot to give what you can." Maya says with a very emotional tone, a light sniffle.